Upgrading from 9.10.6-U6 to 11.0-U4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Hey everyone,
I've been away for a while because of school but am going to have a couple of days off and wanted to make the most of it by upgrading my FreeNAS boxes. I wanted to post my situation and run my plan by others as I'm not very up-to-date on the latest release of the 11 stable train or when 11.1 will be coming.

I currently have 2 boxes (specs in my sig), one serving as a simple replication target for the other (it is offsite). I was going to update everything to the latest stable release (I guess that is 11.0RC2?) but wanted to make sure I will not break any functionality. I would appreciate it if others who have a similar setup shared their upgrade experience. I don't have a very complicated setup. It mostly consisted of the following:

- I have 2-3 shares (SMB)
- I take snapshots and do daily replication
- The remote FreeNAS box is not very convenient should something go wrong requiring a physical visit
- I frequently SSH into my box for remote access
- I run two jails: Plex and Plexpy (I have them setup manually, meaning I am not using the plugin but instead the pkg install)

I think that is all the relevant information. Everything is working just fine, and my initial plan was to wait for 11.1 (fully implemented new UI) but that seems a ways off from what I can see in the roadmap.

Has the upgrade been fairly stable for people? Has anyone had any problem with the upgrade from 9.10 -> 11.0 in regards to jail. Is replication still stable in 11.0?

Anything else you think I should know or be warned about? Thanks, I appreciate your time!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I guess that is 11.0RC2?
No, it most definitely is not RC2, it's 11.0-U4.

Has the upgrade been fairly stable for people?
Yes.
Is replication still stable in 11.0?
Yes, of course.
Has anyone had any problem with the upgrade from 9.10 -> 11.0 in regards to jail.
From what I'm told, things have been surprisingly smooth. Smoother than the 9.3/9.10 transition. There are still limitations inherent to running older jails, but existing jails will keep working.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Ok thanks for the response. Sorry about the RC2, I couldn't tell which version was actually shipping without checking my server. Did I miss where they list the actual version on the download page for ixsystems? I looked in release notes and changelog and didn't see it listed.

Good to hear that things have been smoother.

There are still limitations inherent to running older jails, but existing jails will keep working.
Could you clarify that. What qualifies as an "older jail" as opposed to an "existing jail". In my mind, the jails I currently have would qualify as both.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What I mean is this:
  • FreeBSD 10 jails (or older) will not support all functionality
  • Existing FreeBSD 10 jails (or older) will keep working apart from that, so you can generally keep using them for a while without needing to immediately upgrade.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Did I miss where they list the actual version on the download page for ixsystems? I looked in release notes and changelog and didn't see it listed.

Maybe this page helps to see that 'latest' is '11.0-U4' at the time of this writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.