SOLVED Upgrade from 11.0 U4 to 11.2 U6 failed

Grayling

Cadet
Hi all,
I built my FreeNAS system a year or so ago and had been cautiously moving files onto it from a Windows client.
Decided to upgrade to a more recent version of FreeNAS, so I created a boot USB using Rufus and upgrade seemed to go OK: did an Upgrade Install, installed in new boot environment - aware that I should be using a flash boot device rather than a spinning HDD but hey it worked before.
Got to message about FreeNAS upgrade on ada4 succeeded & prompted to reboot.
System now hangs after these two messages (see pic)

"ZFS found the following pools: Grayling_NAS freenas-boot"
"UFS found no partitions"

Followed the Resolving Boot Issues link: tried rebooting with system in Legacy BIOS mode rather than UEFI but no difference (as expected).
Tried to "upgrade" back to 11.0 U4 but that "upgrade" fails (see rollback pic).
I'm loath to do a fresh install, unless I'm recommended that's the best option?
Haven't yet tried creating a boot device on a removable key but I guess I could do.

Here's my hardware:
Lenovo TS140 tower server
Motherboard: Intel C226-C2 PCB V1.0
BIOS: latest available (8/18)
CPU: QC Intel Xeon E3-1226 v3 @ 3.50Ghz
RAM: 16GB @ 1333MHz
Data Drives: 4 x WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0 (Western Digital 4TB 6Gb/s 64MB Red) in ZFS
Boot Drive: 1 x MK1646GSX (Toshiba 160GB SATA 3Gb/s)
Boot Mode: Auto (UEFI First)
Integrated Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Integrated Video (Intel HD Graphics)
USB ports: Front 2 x USB 3.0, rear 4 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 2.0

I have the working DB file (860kb) saved.

Thanks for any advice,

Attachments

• Boot to 11.2 U6 fails.jpg
    Boot to 11.2 U6 fails.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 245
  • rollback to 11.0 U4 fails.jpg
    rollback to 11.0 U4 fails.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 268

Grayling

Cadet
Gentle bump - can I provide any more information?

Jessep

Patron
Are you on 11.0 or 11.1? If you are on 11.0 I would suggest upgrade to 11.1 U7 first then upgrade to 11.2.

Also at boot you can go into the boot environment and change to boot your old version, they are not over written.

Grayling

Cadet
Thanks for the advice Jessep - sounded good - but in fact I installed a SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB 3.1 flash drive then did a fresh install of FreeNAS 11.2-U7 to it. Still had the same problem, so removed the old boot Toshiba boot drive which was obviously still being accessed, then the system booted OK from the new flash drive. Imported my disk pool OK.
Now having issues with setting up my SAMBA shares to Windows but that's par for the course and I'll get there eventually.

Grayling

Cadet
Can't work out how to mark this thread as SOLVED - some searches refer to a "Thread Tools" dropdown at upper right but can't find this anywhere.... other searches say to edit the thread title or the original post... Can't do that either.
Maybe this question and its answer needs a sticky in the General Questions and Help subforum?

pschatz100

Guru
If you edit your original post, you should be able to add the prefix "Solved" to the title.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Any particular reason you didn't just update from the GUI? Seems that would have been a much easier way of going about this.

Grayling

Cadet
If you edit your original post, you should be able to add the prefix "Solved" to the title.
How? I already said I'm unable to edit my original post. Tried with two different browsers, can't see any edit keys, can't double-click in the original post.

Grayling

Cadet
Any particular reason you didn't just update from the GUI? Seems that would have been a much easier way of going about this.
That didn't work, can't remember why. So rather than try and resolve an old bug I thought I'd go to the latest version. I'm there now.

pschatz100

Guru
How? I already said I'm unable to edit my original post. Tried with two different browsers, can't see any edit keys, can't double-click in the original post.
In the lower left corner of each post you create, there are links to "Report Edit Delete". You don't see those links? On the lower right corner of each post, there are links for "Like" and "Reply". Do you see those?