Upgrading FreeNAS from 9.3 to 11.1 U1 degrades software RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried upgrading FreeNAs from 9.3 to 11.1 U1. I had software RAID configured through FreeNAS itself. However, upgrade process even though successful, it degraded the RAID. At the time of upgrade using iso, installation shows lists of disks. Disk0 and Disk1 are in RAID. Disk3 is data disk. If I select Disk0 and proceed with upgrade, Disk1 RAID fails. I was left with no other option than to delete the disk and add new one and again create RAID. What is to be done here?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You mean you have a mirrored boot pool and installing onto only one of the disks messes things up? That's to be expected. Install to both disks or, ideally, upgrade from the GUI.

You mean you have a mirrored boot pool and installing onto only one of the disks messes things up? That's to be expected. Install to both disks or, ideally, upgrade from the GUI.

Yes. I have a mirrored boot disk. I will try upgrading both one by one and let you know if that works.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not one by one, that has no chance of working as you want it to. Install to both simultaneously or upgrade from the GUI.

Not one by one, that has no chance of working as you want it to. Install to both simultaneously or upgrade from the GUI.

I could get it up and running fine following the below steps,

1) Boot from FreeNAS DVD
2) Select Disk0 and choose upgrade Install. Select Install in New boot environment.
3) Reboot and again boot from FreeNAS DVD. (Do not boot newly upgraded FreeNAS)
4) Select Disk1 and choose upgrade Install. Select Install in New boot environment.

I have mirrorring intact. All datashares are also working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.