Upgrade to 11.2 Causing Huge Problems (READ BEFORE DELETING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

verisof

Cadet
NOTE: I posted it and it was deleted. Before deleting it again, please point me to the thread that references it. I couldn't find a specific solution after searching. Thanks.

I decided to do an upgrade to FREENAS 11.2 RELEASE U1 from 11.1. And I've had nothing but troubles since.

Let me preface this by saying I am not a LINUX or FREEBSD guru by any stretch of the imagination. I know just enough to be dangerous and build my system.

I'm running an older, but serviceable HP Workstation with a Xeon multi-core processor loaded to the gills with RAM (32GB). I've got 10 4TB HD running in a RAID configuration off of two controllers. I use this workstation as a file server, FTP box, and Plexserver. I also have a decent video card to allow for video transcoding.

This box worked great until I did the upgrade. And, like an idiot, I did not back up the boot device (USB Stick) before the upgrade. I did save the configuration file.

Now? I reboot and it works okay at first. There is still a noticeable hesitation in response my network share. BUT, it deteriorates rapidly within about 6 hours. The Plex server can no longer handle the transcoding by this point and the file I/O speeds via the network are abysmal.

I've tried rolling back to the original installation and there is no difference. I even tried to do a NEW install on a different USB stick, importing the configuration file, and there is still no joy.

I'm concerned because the upgrade modified the ZFS pool to take advantage of new features.

Can anyone give me any possible insight into this that will prevent me from having to move all data off the drives, destroying the RAID, and then doing the whole thing from scratch?

On possible insight here. I had to muck with file permissions, which look to be handled differently. I now get a line message on the FREENAS box about "Dangerous write permissions." And it does appear that the performance deterioration happens as these errors pile up.

Also, the central file share is down to about 1.5 TB. (20 TB total). Does Freenas have problems as the free disk space gets smaller? I thought that was strictly a windows or NTFS problem.

I must admit that I'm very annoyed. Freenas is great when it works, but it is a pain to do actual maintenance on it. A Windows box might not be as good a choice, but it is easier to maintain.

Please don't flame me for being a relative neophyte. LOL. Thanks in advance.

pschatz100

Guru
Please post your system configuration. It is impossible to give useful advice without knowing what the system is.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
NOTE: I posted it and it was deleted. Before deleting it again, please point me to the thread that references it. I couldn't find a specific solution after searching. Thanks.
Not sure why you think your previous post was deleted. Please use the original thread as linked by @HoneyBadger

Status
Not open for further replies.