Upgrade from 12.0-U8.1 to 13.0-U1 breaks DNS & SMB

d brown

Dabbler
Updating from 12.0-U8.1 to 13.0-U1 breaks DNS & SMB

The DNS default routes 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 are still set, and pinging IPs will get a response, but pinging www. names will get [unknown host], changing nameserver 1 to router i can resolve an IP but no route to host.

Checking for system updates:
[Unable to connect to url https://update-master.ixsystems.com/TrueNAS/trains.txt: Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings.]

In my VM shells i'm able to ping out happily, and access some plugins but plex i'm unable to contact.

Network shares also break, and do not allow login with the previous credentials.

Booting back to the previous version and everything behaves itself.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

d brown

Dabbler
The DNS issue seems to have resolved itself after a number of resets and deleting the nameserver entries. Just need to sort the SMB issue.

Looks like it is an issue with the top level pool, this pool has been in service since freenas 9, just upgrading step by step.

I've updated the top level pool to root and wheel (which i've seen other change to in order to fix this type of issue), but have not been able to find if any of the other settings need changing.

Code:
root@freenas[/mnt]# getfacl Storage
# file: Storage
# owner: root
# group: wheel
            owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
            group@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow
         everyone@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow

Ideal would be a clean pool but i do not know if there is a way to do this on the existing set of drives occupied by this pool. It has been working fine for years so now rusty on how to setup again. Some way of setting to default permissions would be good, to clean start with the guides / help.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The DNS issue seems to have resolved itself after a number of resets and deleting the nameserver entries. Just need to sort the SMB issue.

Looks like it is an issue with the top level pool, this pool has been in service since freenas 9, just upgrading step by step.

I've updated the top level pool to root and wheel (which i've seen other change to in order to fix this type of issue), but have not been able to find if any of the other settings need changing.

Code:
root@freenas[/mnt]# getfacl Storage
# file: Storage
            group@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow
         everyone@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow

Ideal would be a clean pool but i do not know if there is a way to do this on the existing set of drives occupied by this pool. It has been working fine for years so now rusty on how to setup again. Some way of setting to default permissions would be good, to clean start with the guides / help.
Your permissions there will break access for all non-root users to any files on the pool. I'm not sure how you ended up with 0700 permissions there since changes at this level are explicitly disallowed precisely for these sorts of reasons, but you should chmod 755 /mnt/Storage

d brown

Dabbler
Ok, thanks i've made that change. When i share the sub data set that i can control the ACLs i can access the share, but not the top level.

Code:
root@freenas[~]# getfacl /mnt/Storage
# file: /mnt/Storage
            group@:r-x---a-R-c--s:-------:allow
         everyone@:r-x---a-R-c--s:-------:allow
root@freenas[~]# getfacl /mnt/Storage/Data_cold
# file: /mnt/Storage/Data_cold
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
            group@:rwxpDdaARWc--s:fd-----:allow
group:general_share:rwxpDdaARWc--s:fd-----:allow
         everyone@:--------------:fd-----:allow
root@freenas[~]#

How do i get the top level (pool) back to default for the other parameters? or am i going the wrong route?

Like i said this pool has been in existence from back in freenas version 9 or so, and only with update to 13 has this issue come up.

d brown

Dabbler
Ok, made some progress, it seems that previously I could share the top level pool on SMB, but now that behavior is not permitted and so need to share the sub datasets.

Final thing to work out is why i can only access via the IP address and not the machine name, when both show up in the network listing. Expect to be something with the DNS...

Needed to check the NetBIOS-NS box under network / global configuration

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
Final thing to work out is why i can only access via the IP address and not the machine name, when both show up in the network listing. Expect to be something with the DNS...
I rolled back to 13.0 from U1 since it broke my SMB shares and I don't currently have time to debug it.

That being said, I have a custom DNS server in a jail providing DNS for the local LAN as well as built-in ad blocking and it's still working flawlessly. I think your problem isn't DNS, but the NETBIOS names instead. I found that feature is very spotty and works off and on even as far back as FreeNAS 8. It's why I went to an actual Unbound server instead, it's way more reliable.

One more instance of this. I just upgraded from the latest 12.Ux and now I am not able to access SMB shares. I have attempted to create new users / reset permissions / clear and reset ACLs but no luck.
I can access and map to the upper level directory, but files in any subdirectory are not yet accessible.

I am also noticing that one share is working and one is not. I removed all ACL's on the one that IS working). I am attempting to remove ACLs for the second pool, but User ACL's are still showing up. in the ShareSMB section). - (I am not sure if this is relevant, however) - I have removed the SMB share, renamed it but only the top directory shows up in the File explorer for that pool.

I started to manually share the subdirectories of my second pool. The directories DID appear in windows SMB File explorer. It is interesting that one Pool will allow me to drill down from the main level when shared, but a second pool requires the individual subdirectories now to be individually shared. I do not see any configuration differences between the primary directories on the two different pools.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I started to manually share the subdirectories of my second pool. The directories DID appear in windows SMB File explorer. It is interesting that one Pool will allow me to drill down from the main level when shared, but a second pool requires the individual subdirectories now to be individually shared. I do not see any configuration differences between the primary directories on the two different pools.
See details here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-13-0-u1-is-now-available.102326/page-3#post-705282

I replaced the ixnas.so file with the one supplied in thread. I was able to still the SMB shared file directories, but I could not access the folders from a Windows 11 system until I replaced the ixnas.so file with the original one.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I replaced the ixnas.so file with the one supplied in thread. I was able to still the SMB shared file directories, but I could not access the folders from a Windows 11 system until I replaced the ixnas.so file with the original one.

I'm not following. Did the file fix your issue or not? If not, can you send me a PM with a debug from your server, and can we schedule a teamviewer session? I'm in a time crunch regarding getting things ready for a hotfix. So if it doesn't work for someone I need to be able to diagnose it and address any other issues ASAP.

PM was sent, The log was attached. I am available any time over the next few days. Phone number was sent via PM