[Known Issue] After upgrade 12.0-U8.1 to 13.0-U2 replication tasks fail to authenticate

bal0an

Explorer
I am running pair of TrueNAS servers (primary and backup). Both were at 12.0-U8.1.
After upgrading backup to 13.0-U2 the replication tasks from primary to backup fail. Replication tasks from backup to primary still work.
a) primary (12.0-U8.1) -> backup (13.0-U2) FAIL
b) primary (12.0-U8.1) <- backup (13.0-U2) OK

Error details:
```
TrueNAS @ primary
New alerts:
* Replication "ssd2/iocage - raid/nas1/iocage" failed: Authentication failed..
```
Other observations:
1. ssh still works both directions (key authentication)
2. I've refreshed the remote host key in primary's System|SSH connection to backup. Error persists.
3. I've created a brand new SSH connection and switched the replication task. Error persists.

Any ideas what the root cause might be and how to re-establish authentication of primary to backup?

Alecmascot

Guru
Read the 13.0-U2 release notes. Known issues

bal0an

Explorer
I've found known issues for 13.0-U2: a) 2.5GigE Realtek NICs are unsupported in 13.0-U2, b) 2FA login fails the first time after failover before succeeding, c) TrueCommand connection causing a kernel panic with unscheduled system reboots - none of those applies.

Have you had a specific known issue in mind, or was your hint generic?

Alecmascot

Guru
Down the bottom of the list, or you can search for similar posts

bal0an

Explorer
By default, TrueNAS 12 cannot initiate a replication to or from TrueNAS 13 due to an outdated SSH client library. Allowing replication to or from TrueNAS 13 to TrueNAS 12 requires allowing ssh.rsa algorithms. See OpenSSH 8.2 Release for security considerations. Log into the TrueNAS 13 system and go to Services->SSH. Add the SSH Auxiliary Parameter: PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms +ssh-rsa.

That helped. Thanks.
Unfortunately the error message was generic and did not provide any detail on the connection issue.
Also, this known and breaking issue could have been easily mitigated by enabling ssh-rsa by default.