Upgrade FreeNAS 9.3 with Drive issue to TrueNAS Core

Zaaphod

Contributor
I have a FreeNAS 9.3 system I would like to upgrade to TrueNAS Core and I would like to figure out the easiest path to allow me to do this while maintaining all my uses, shares, and permissions.

I don't have any jails, encryption, virtual machines, or anything like that, it's just network storage. I have four 8TB hard drives in a raid, all drives duplicating.

One drive has failed.. I have a new one to replace it with, but something has gone wrong and when I go to System > View Disks, I just get a blank screen, but over on the left in the tree, I see all my volumes etc, and the NAS is functioning normally.

Here are the Errors:

CRITICAL: Device: /dev/ada0, failed to read SMART Attribute Data
CRITICAL: Device: /dev/ada0, Read SMART Error Log Failed
CRITICAL: Device: /dev/ada0, Read SMART Self-Test Log Failed
CRITICAL: The volume DATA (ZFS) state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.

Here are my questions:
Backup: What's the best way to make a backup of all my data? I have an External USB drive I can use to back up onto. I could just hook it up to one of my computers and copy everything over the network onto it, but that would really bog down my network for a really long time. Is there a way I can just plug the drive into a USB port of the FreeNAS Server itself then do something to transfer all my data to it? Or... .since I still have 3 working drives which all contain all the data... can I just pull one of those and get it working somewhere and call that my backup? Isn't the whole point of having 4 duplicate drives to have continuous backups? I always have 3 backups (well now 2 backups becuase one has failed) The problem is, they are ZFS and it's not like I can just plug them into any pc and be able to read them.. so how can I set up something to just use one of the good drives and get it working to verify my data is accessible? It seems that would be a lot faster and easier than copying 8TB to an External USB drive.

Upgrade: How should I perform an upgrade? I have other computers I can use to set up a new system if needed, but they are just PCs, they don't have ECC RAM, so I want to end up with the final system running on the original hardware which does have ECC RAM.

Is there a way I could just pull one of the working drives from the old system, set it all up and get it working, then add my other 2 good drives and the new drive to it, or should I just upgrade my system without trying to set it up on another pc?

I'm also wondering what the best method is to upgrade.. should I just do a new install of TrueNAS then somehow make it use my existing disks, volumes users, permissions, network shares, etc... or should I copy my boot disk to another one, get it working with one of the good drives from my old system then upgrade that to TrueNAS.. and if I do this, can I just go straight to the current stable version of TrueNAS or do I need to upgrade in stages?

System Details:
Build: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011
Platform: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz
Memory: 65397MB
Boot Disk: 32GB SSD
Storage Disks: 8TB x 4 Raid (duplicating on all 4 drives)
No Tasks
Services: CIFS, iSCSI, NFS, S,M.A.R.T, SSH
No Plugins