Upgrade FreeN to TrueN raid question

Theosxman

Cadet
Hello and thanks in advance for your help!

I currently am running the lastest FreeNAS and want to upgrade to TrueNas. That part seems pretty straight forward

I had two separate raids/pools, one for media and one for files. I decided that since one of the data raid drives failed (warranty replaced) I would buy one additional drive and combine all 6 WD RED NAS drives into a single raid

I have backed all data from both pools and this leads me to my question:

**Before I upgrade, should I simply delete the pools and shares etc, then once the upgrade is complete create new raid/pools?

I have already planned out the new share points, users etc and after the upgrade I will move all the files from the back up to the new raid and set those users/groups/shares etc.

Thanks again.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you want to start over?
  • Yes -> Destroy the pools and start over
  • No -> Don't do anything

Theosxman

Cadet
Do you want to start over?
  • Yes -> Destroy the pools and start over
  • No -> Don't do anything

In terms of starting over, yes in the sense of restructuring both media and file storage solutions for better management, no in terms of starting over by installing TrueNas from scratch

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
yes in the sense of restructuring both media and file storage solutions for better management,
That's the hard part. Installing TrueNAS is fairly trivial, and you're going to have to reconfigure most of it anyway if you're going to make significant changes to your dataset layout.

Theosxman

Cadet
That's the hard part. Installing TrueNAS is fairly trivial, and you're going to have to reconfigure most of it anyway if you're going to make significant changes to your dataset layout.
I thought I would save some trouble by not having to re-set up PLEX just add the media files back into the server

It’s mainly for home/family use but I want to structure it better than I had it where stuff was just dumped onto a drive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, I see little reason to start over then. Fix what you want to fix, reconfigure snapshots, replication and whatever else needs to know about your changes, and save yourself the extra, unnecessary hassle.

Theosxman

Cadet
I thought I would save some trouble by not having to re-set up PLEX just add the media files back into the server

It’s mainly for home/family use but I want to structure it better than I had it where stuff was just dumped onto a drive.
It’s not that big of a deal to start from scratch, just thought I would save a step of two

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's no inherent advantage, so it's really up to how you want to structure your work.

Theosxman

Cadet
Well, I see little reason to start over then. Fix what you want to fix, reconfigure snapshots, replication and whatever else needs to know about your changes, and save yourself the extra, unnecessary hassle.
Thanks for your advice. I’ll look thru the planned changes and evaluate my options.

Since I will be migrating from the flash drive FreeNAS recommended when I started to TrueNas SSD boot volume, I may just start clean.

Thanks again!!