Single drive zpool upgrade to mirror, upgrade to striped mirror

zidarko

Cadet
Hi,

My NAS is currently running with 4x 4 TB hard drives on Linux using RAIDZ-1, which was good when I set it up years ago but it makes upgrades problematic. Long story short, one of the hard drives is failing (ZFS reported the errors first, followed by SMART). I would now like to upgrade to TrueNAS and upgrade/convert my zpool to striped mirror (RAID-10). I have already received a pair of 6 TB drives I want to use for this.

My plan of action is as follows:
1. Kick the faulty drive out of zpool_old and erase it. Check warranty and send it for replacement if possible.
2. Install True NAS and import zpool_old with the missing drive.
3. Insert new 6 TB drive, create zpool_new. Copy essential data from zpool_old to zpool_new.
4. Delete zpool_old.
5. Insert second 6 TB drive and add it to zpool_new. Wait for resilvering to complete.
6. Add the remaining pair of 4 TB drives as a mirrored vdev zpool_new. Wait for resilvering to complete.

The end configuration of zpool_new is thus: 2x 6 TB (mirror) and 2x 4 TB (mirror) with a total capacity of ~10 TB.

I've used a similar procedure on Linux but I don't know whether True NAS can do it. Can someone confirm/deny this?

Thanks!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
You may have some issues attaching a smaller vdev mirror to a larger one, but you can force it at the CLI if you are certain its what you want to do.

However apart from that, the process sounds correct.

zidarko

Cadet
Hi.

Thanks for checking my procedure.

I do want to have this setup because I would like to upgrade all my hard disks and a the setup I'm suggesting allows to do it more readily than the current RAIDZ-1.