upgrade FreeNAS-8.0.1-BETA4-amd64 to freenas 8.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicute

Cadet

ProtoSD

MVP
Backup your settings in the GUI and you must do the CD upgrade. Its the same Installation ISO, but when you boot from it, it will offer to do an upgrade for you. Do not do the GUI upgrade.

Milhouse

Guru
1) Always backup your config.

2) If you are able, take a complete backup of your boot disk/memory card (with 2GB USB sticks it's a pretty simple process create a complete image using dd, and to restore it should there be problems with the upgrade. Or transfer the current image to a new memory stick, upgrade that second memory stick and if it all goes wrong simply switch back to the original working stick and seek help or try again)

3) Upgrading FreeNAS should never harm your data. Although unlikely, the worst that can happen is that you lose your configuration (see 1) or trash the boot disk (see 2), but upgrading (or even installing from scratch) should never touch your ZFS data.

Milhouse

Guru
Backup your settings in the GUI and you must do the CD upgrade. Its the same Installation ISO, but when you boot from it, it will offer to do an upgrade for you. Do not do the GUI upgrade.

I think he can do the GUI upgrade with 8.0.1-BETA4 - the image size increased with 8.0.1-BETA3. Unless there's another reason to avoid the GUI upgrade that I'm missing of course, though I recall using the GUI upgrade to go from 8.0.1-BETA4 to 8.0.1-RC2 to 8.0.1-RELEASE, and subsequently 8.0.2-RELEASE.

sicute

Cadet
I think i will make safety way resume all good answer:

1.backup config
2.make secondary system current in usb stick
3.restore config to usb stick
4.Try boot from usb to check backup system and config working
5.backup most importan data
6.reboot to boot cd iso
7.than upgrade
8. restore config.

but if i doing like this :
1.make backup config
2.make copy system current to usb
3.put usb in another computer and try boot it
4.restore config to usb
5.if working put it usb stick to current system and boot it .

or quick way :
1.install freenas 8.0.2 to usb stick
2. restore config to usb stick have been installed freenas 8.0.2
3. put it usb stick to current system and boot it.

in 3 choice what is the best option for safety and fastest way ?

Milhouse

Guru
in 3 choice what is the best option for safety and fastest way ?

That's obvious, isn't it? Backing up all your data is the best option for safety, and not backing up your data is the best option for a fast upgrade.

I can appreciate you wanting to be cautious, so if you're not sure what happens during the upgrade process then by all means take a complete backup of your system before proceeding any further. You should always have a current (or near as makes no difference) backup anyway... :)

Personally, I'd just go with the quick way, but then I have a full data backup, and I'm also confident the upgrade won't touch my data. I usually snag a dd image of my current USB memory stick before commencing with the upgrade, just in case...

TDPsGM

Explorer
Hi Milhouse.
I'm new to FreeNAS and just doing testing (without important data) just for practice to make sure I have a good feel for how it is all supposed to work.

Is there a 'terminal' per se in the GUI (that I might have missed) that we can use to run the dd command? and would you mind posting an example of it?

The other question that I had was, if your data does not get touched during an upgrade, could you not:
1. just make a backup configuration file with the version of FreeNAS that you are running (what ever it is - not counting v7 of course)
2. create a fresh install to a different usb stick of the 'latest' version of FreeNAS
3. plug that latest install of FreeNAS into the machine and boot it, import the configuration file, and the volumes that currently reside in the system.

4. and for some reason, if that doesn't work, just plug the original usb stick with the older version on it, and just keep going til you figure out what went wrong?

I may have just repeated sicute's 3rd option (sorry if I did). I am just trying to wrap my head around how FreeNAS is working.

Thanks for the help.

Milhouse

Guru
Is there a 'terminal' per se in the GUI (that I might have missed) that we can use to run the dd command? and would you mind posting an example of it?
You can get shell access by installing PuTTY on a PC, enabling SSH access in FreeNAS and connecting using PuTTY to the FreeNAS server, or access the console via a keyboard and monitor attached to the FreeNAS server.

The other question that I had was, if your data does not get touched during an upgrade, could you not:
1. just make a backup configuration file with the version of FreeNAS that you are running (what ever it is - not counting v7 of course)
2. create a fresh install to a different usb stick of the 'latest' version of FreeNAS
3. plug that latest install of FreeNAS into the machine and boot it, import the configuration file, and the volumes that currently reside in the system.

4. and for some reason, if that doesn't work, just plug the original usb stick with the older version on it, and just keep going til you figure out what went wrong?
Yes, absolutely.

TDPsGM

Explorer
. . . or access the console via a keyboard and monitor attached to the FreeNAS server.

Well that was dumb of me. I've been doing so much reading and playing with the accessing of FreeNAS with the PC, that I completely forgot about that!

Do you have a sample of the dd command handy? I've played with it in Ubuntu and used it to change UUID's of certain partitions (... it is a long story....) but I am by no means an expert with it and there seems to be subtle differences between command line code that I have seen in FreeNAS and Ubuntu.

Thanks for the reply to the upgrade question.

Milhouse

Guru
Mount the FreeNAS USB memory stick in Ubuntu, then the following should work:

Code:
dd if=/dev/sdX of=mybackup.img bs=1M

where /dev/sdX is your USB memory stick - be very sure to identify the device correctly before proceeding, dmesg will usually reveal the correct details.

If you want to compress your image on the fly:

Code:
dd if=/dev/sdX bs=1M | gzip >mybackup.img.gz

TDPsGM

Explorer
. . . dmesg will usually reveal the correct details.

dmesg -- that is a new one for me. I use a couple of other things to determine that I have the proper device - I'll give it a try however. is it just: sudo dmesg that you type in?

I know realize that the dd (aka the 'data' 'destroyer') command is quite dangerous if not manipulated with care. Thanks again for the warning

Milhouse

Guru
dmesg -- that is a new one for me. I use a couple of other things to determine that I have the proper device - I'll give it a try however. is it just: sudo dmesg that you type in?

dmesg is available to ordinary users, but you'll need sudo for dd as it requires root privileges.

Nexitus

Dabbler
Quick question since I'm looking to upgrade my FreeNAS version as well.

I'm trying to do this with a CD as their isn't a drive in my box right now.

I've installed a fresh FreeNAS onto a second USB drive, but when it boots up, it encounters a mounting failure. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.