Upgrade 11.3 to TrueNAS 12.0?

asjohem

Dabbler
Hi!

If everything that I use for now is working in FreeNAS 11.3-U5, is it safe to upgrade to TrueNAS 12.0?
Using SMB share and plex server

Alecmascot

Guru
I strongly suggest you read this forum.
There are issues with SMB and Reporting in various threads

asjohem

Dabbler
I strongly suggest you read this forum.
There are issues with SMB and Reporting in various threads
Yes I saw some issues, but that is if you upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3 or 12.0. Not 11.3 to 12.0. Thats why Im asking :)

MikeyG

Patron
I upgraded from 11.3-U4.1 to 12, and have had to revert back because of SMB and iSCSI issues. Many people seem to have upgraded without experiencing any problems though.

asjohem

Dabbler
I upgraded from 11.3-U4.1 to 12, and have had to revert back because of SMB and iSCSI issues. Many people seem to have upgraded without experiencing any problems though.
Sounds better to wait then. Thanks!

ninjai

Explorer
In my case the upgrade indefinitely freezes, seems like I'm the only person having this problem though

pvt.joker

Cadet
I upgraded from 11.3 U5 to 12 from the UI update page. it took a long time, but came back eventually. Once up, everything appeared to be working normally (I also mainly utilize Plex and SMB shares) but the next day when i wanted to login to the GUI to change some stuff, the GUI became unbearably slow. Logging in took 2-4 minutes, sometimes switching between dashboard and any other page would take even longer or just time out. Had to roll back to 11.3 U5 for now

Snow

Patron
I am having all sorts of problems, it seems like the middleware to me. Also python is having some problems to. Getting a New Abi Error any time I try to make a jail, My smb shares are working Thats a Plus. I use groups to mange them. I have not used iSCSI yet. I would revert back if i could, but upgraded my pools. I did the install and had no problems or errors, but my jails would not start. Change all devfs rules to 4 and they came right up. Tbh They said it was suppose to be ready for deployment. Imo it is not ready I would wait. My gui is super slow 3-5 min to load info. And I keep getting a collectd & Py Trace back Error. It will not even allow me to do a debug that gets a traceback error to.

Last edited:

Snow

Patron
I upgraded from 11.3 U5 to 12 from the UI update page. it took a long time, but came back eventually. Once up, everything appeared to be working normally (I also mainly utilize Plex and SMB shares) but the next day when i wanted to login to the GUI to change some stuff, the GUI became unbearably slow. Logging in took 2-4 minutes, sometimes switching between dashboard and any other page would take even longer or just time out. Had to roll back to 11.3 U5 for now
I am having the same problem. Lol I use Plex, home assistant, Medusa, Sab NZBD, Couch, Transmission, Netdata, Deluge and Smb shares as well. I have about 40+ users that use my plex and it works just fine so it is the Guis Middleware 100%.

Last edited:

refaqtor

Cadet
I woke up to "Update... 66.67%... Installing base-os (1/3)"
So, after 8 hours of updating 11.3 U5 to 12... I'm beginning to think it is fibbing to me!
I'm not doing much on it, basically file backup, which I've already backed up. And I'd ticked through the upgrades painlessly on my iXsystems FreeNAS Mini for years without even thinking to look for a forum to commiserate on.
At this point, I'd just as soon reinstall from scratch, if that is possible.

Alecmascot

Guru
I woke up to "Update... 66.67%... Installing base-os (1/3)"
So, after 8 hours of updating 11.3 U5 to 12... I'm beginning to think it is fibbing to me!
I'm not doing much on it, basically file backup, which I've already backed up. And I'd ticked through the upgrades painlessly on my iXsystems FreeNAS Mini for years without even thinking to look for a forum to commiserate on.
At this point, I'd just as soon reinstall from scratch, if that is possible.
Use the bootloader to revert to 11.3

refaqtor

Cadet
Does a clean install and restore from 11.3 backup work?
I installed TrueNAS 12 from downloaded ISO image onto my 4 year old iXsystems FreeNAS Mini; it worked like a champ. conveniently, I'd never gotten around to configuring much on it - just plain old file sharing - so, restoring was easy. Now it flies, and I've setup a batch of plugins and VMs.

Snow

Patron
Does a clean install and restore from 11.3 backup work?
Well I was not haveing any errors so last thing I did that night was upgrade all my pools to 12.0. I should have waited. Next day I logged in to do more work on the jails and BAM ui is all jacked up.

Last edited:

Snow

Patron
My issue should be fixed in upcoming 12.0-U1

Last edited:

pvt.joker

Cadet
My issue should be fixed in upcoming 12.0-U1
just came here hoping someone would know if this was fixed.. the release notes didn't have a specific thing about it, unless i missed something..

kssmmg189

Cadet
Good day to all, I have upgraded 11-U5 to 12-U1 and it was seriously a disaster. I could not even login and for a moment I thought I have lost all my data. I tried to revert back to use the old OS - 11-U5 back. It refused to go back.
I switched off all and waited for 10 minutes and managed to go back to old 11-U5 by choosing older OS.
Decided that I am not going to gamble any more. Its better for me to do a new and clean install rather then upgrading. Word of caution, make sure you have a full back up of data before upgrading or able to revert back just in case if the 12 or 12-U1 have issues.
Using Dell T420 - Dual Xeon - 32 GB ECC RAM- 14 TB Disk Space.

kappclark

Explorer
Running freenas - is there any reason to upgrade to TrueNas Core ??

Are updates going to be available to Freenas ?? I can d/l latest Truenas Core, and restore from backup I suppose ... don't want to if I don't have to ...

Redcoat

MVP