Upgrade guide for moving from 11.3U5 to 12.0U3

revengineer

Contributor
Hello,
Is there an upgrade guide from moving from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS 12.0-U3? I understand that there are steps in addition to acting the upgrade via the GUI such as upgrading the jails. A link or guidance is appreciated to so that I get this running without issues and do not lose my data in the process.

Thank you in advance.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You won't lose any data (as a result of the version upgrade).

The jail upgrade process is sort-of optional (the 11.3 jails will still run).

Most of the experience I have with it tells me that the hour(s) long process to upgrade a jail simply isn't worth it and installing fresh jails is the way to go (about 5-10 minutes per jail... assuming your app data and config is correctly stored on your pool and mounted into the jail).

There are threads which document both ways of handling the jails.

This one should help with the basic idea of data outside the jail: https://www.truenas.com/community/r...your-plex-metadata-on-a-separate-dataset.142/

This one is probably all you need (in the first post) to upgrade if you insist on doing that time-wasting activity: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/psa-fix-pkg-after-upgrading-an-iocage-jail-to-12-1.86168/ I think 12.2-RELEASE is the current one.

revengineer

Contributor
Thank you for the reply and the good information. I thought the jail OS has to match the base OS version, and I was not aware that the 11.3 jails would instead still run. This is great news because I am inclined to leave them untouched. They only run internal network services, namely urbackup and mineOS, and I see no security risks in my home environment here.

I do not have my jail apps in separate datasets. This is an interesting concept, which I will consider for a do-over because I like it. I may try the "long" route then first. I am less concerned about the time than I am about the end result, i.e., that everything works. If the apps rely on 11.3 libraries, then I may have to recompile. At that point, I might as well start out with a new jail. I may try this in a VM before inadvertently going on a journey that takes more time than I have right now.

The links you sent are both great resources, which I added to my library of tricks and procedures. Thanks again for these!