Upgrade 11.3 to TrueNAS 12.0?

kappclark

Explorer
Thx - guess I know what I will be doing July 4th holiday --

Constantin

Vampire Pig
You can always revert to 11.x, provided you do not upgrade the pool to 12.x

When I transitioned to 12, I purposely nuked my pool and reconstituted it with an SVDEV, so there is no going back for me. FWIW, I had no issues other than some odd ACL problems, mostly due to me. Thanks to @anodos, those were resolved quickly. However, I have a very simple setup here, SMB only, no plex, VMs, jails, or other add-ons running.

The reason I rebuilt the pool from the ground up is to fully take advantage of SVDEVs. Otherwise, I'd have to move all the data around the pool at least once to transition metadata storage from the HDD VDEV to the SSDs in the SVDEV.

kappclark

Explorer
at work are transitioning from a synology to the truenas, and there really is no comparison ... glad I have some exposure to the freenas platform which makes this easier..

@Constantin = I too have a simple setup - 4 x 2TB RaidZ (raid10) ... 2 VM's and only a few accounts ... it is plenty fast -- but when I goto 12, do I have to use SVDEVs ? Or, can I just upgrade the boot pool (2 2.5 " disks" ) to Truenas core, and import the original vdevs ?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
No reason to add sVDEVs unless you want to. I’m a nerd with a need for metadata speed. :smile:

kappclark

Explorer
I just finished a super-painless in-place upgrade to TrueNas -- no fear... no more freenas ! Thx for your guidance..

I am wondering about pool upgrades... I have only 1 pool named zpool-10 .. when I look at the options menu, I see no option for upgrading the pool to 12 ..... have not re-booted the server..

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I believe it’s one of the triple dot options to the right of the pool name in the storage viewpane of the UI.

See approx. 9:30 in this video documenting a system upgrade, he shows it there.

Last edited:

kappclark

Explorer
THX -

I can mount the shares fine -- access very fast etc...

Here is what I see when I click the 3 dots:
No option to upgrade pools..

Attachments

• Truesnas-pool.png
    Truesnas-pool.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 208

Constantin

Vampire Pig
If that's not a Z1, Z2, or Z3 pool, then perhaps there is nothing to upgrade?

kappclark

Explorer
It is a raidz version of raid 10 (4 x 2TB)... a span of 2 mirrors..

What raidz is that ? I think Z2 ?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
No. Z2 would be a single vdev with 4 drives. What you have sounds like a striped raid1 or raid 10 (2 VDEVs of 2 drives each).

kappclark

Explorer
zpool-10 status.png

This is the output for zpool status zpool-10. It is 2 mirrors.
What would this be in raidz language ?? As I understand it, this is the equivalent of Raid 10 ..

Constantin

Vampire Pig
That’s what it is, a RAID 10. Presumably, TrueNAS can scrub, monitor SMART, serve files, etc for RAID 10 just as it does for RAID-Z.