Updating owncloud 8.1.1 to 8.1.3 gets stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

My freeNAS 9.2.1.7 box runs the Plex, ownCloud and subSonic plugins in jails. I normally allow the plugins to do their own updating. The system has been very stable and I hardly need to do any maintenance. I have the ownCloud application installed on 2 laptops and use it to back up all of the documents and such on these pc's.

Owncloud tried to do its own update twice, launched maintenance mode, and failed both times. Each time it successfully rolled back the changes allowing me back into the system and allowing the laptops to reconnect using the application.

It has tried to run the update again and the maintenance mode has gotten stuck. I waited 48 hours before I rebooted my NAS to see if it would get unstuck. It did not. I went into the config.php and manually turned maintenance mode to off. The website came back up to wanting to reinstall the update. I pressed OK and it has gotten stuck again.

I installed another ownCloud jail, looking to troubleshoot. I went to the update section in the admin profile and selected update there. It does its check and says I need to make sure that I have permissions to the ownCloud directory to be able to install the update. I have tried chmod 777, chmod 755 from both the root of the NAS and root of the ownCloud but have not successfully given the directory the permissions it wants. I also tried adding a "-R" to allow it to be recursive on all the subdirectories but freeNAS does not recognize that command. The official instructions say to repair the install using the command "occ" (ownCloud console" but that application does not seem to exist.

Anyone else finding this to be a problem and how did you fix it?

Thanks,

Tim

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I doubt there are permission issues with the plugin. I set ownership of the owncloud source directory and datadirectory to the 'www' user. Can you screenshot the permission related error your seeing and the output of the following command
ls -l /path/to/directory

The owncloud updater rarely works for me. The most reliable method for me has been to do the following..
  1. overwrite the owncloud source files
  2. use "occ upgrade" from the commandline
When I get a chance I'll issue an update to the plugin so you can force the first to happen using the FreeNAS update system.

Here are the 2 pics you are looking for. The second is cut off and goes on for several hundred lines. There is a retry button at the end of the error.

Picture1.png
Picture3.png

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Unless you changed the user apache runs as, it owns the directorys it is trying to write to.
Maybe you can ask on the owncloud forums as well

This is a straight install with no changes to the permission structure.

Also, the "./occ update" gives an error saying "env: php: file or directory does not exist" so trying to force the update does not work either.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
This is a straight install with no changes to the permission structure.

Also, the "./occ update" gives an error saying "env: php: file or directory does not exist" so trying to force the update does not work either.
That's why I suggest checking with the owncloud forum cause it seems like a bug to me that's owncloud is complaining of permission issues when the directories/files are clearly writable.
Just as a double check, you didn't enable Windows Permissions on the jails datasets?

The full command should be
Code:
/usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/bin/php /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud/occ upgrade

That's why I suggest checking with the owncloud forum cause it seems like a bug to me that's owncloud is complaining of permission issues when the directories/files are clearly writable.
Just as a double check, you didn't enable Windows Permissions on the jails datasets?

The full command should be
Code:
/usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/bin/php /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud/occ upgrade

Windows permissions are not enabled on the jails. A share is from the defaut freeNAS install then added as storage to the ownCloud jail. I also tried running the full command as you suggested but it comes back with a file that php needs is missing.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Windows permissions are not enabled on the jails. A share is from the defaut freeNAS install then added as storage to the ownCloud jail. I also tried running the full command as you suggested but it comes back with a file that php needs is missing.
Ok, then I'm not sure why it's giving the permissions errors.

As for the occ command not working I'm guessing you tried this on a fresh install where you did not yet setup the admin user for. It needs to do the initial setup for that command to work. After that I had to switch to the 'www' user, which meant changing the users shell. 'chsh -s /bin/sh www', then the command worked for me.
But, do realize this only does step 2 of what I mentioned earlier. you'd still need to overwrite your current owncloud source files.

Status
Not open for further replies.