OwnCloud - CIFS Share Linked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geek_Squad

Cadet
I used to have this setup under my last FreeNAS and a little older owncloud and it worked so well but now I can't seem to get owncloud to work with it. I have a volume with a CIFS Share setup. Most of the time I use this as the access. Sometimes I want a file when I'm away from my network and I used to use owncloud to access these same files but ever since I fresh installed to update my FreeNAS and Owncloud I can't get it working agian. I can add the storage to the proper directory but no matter what I set the permissions at Owncloud cannot see the files that are in the mounted directory.
I have tried:
-using a symbolic link to point to the directory
-manually mounting the directory using mount_nullfs
-adding the storage through GUI
-changing Ownership of the files to www:www
-I even chmod 777 just to try and figure out why Owncloud doesn't see the files.
I can see the files through the jails shell ls but Owncloud acts as though the files aren't there.
I can't figure out how to get it going again. Please does anyone have any ideas?

Currently I'm at FreeNAS 9.3 Stable and Owncloud 8.2 Plugin

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
So you are adding file to owncloud's datadirectory (/media) throught CIFS? owncloud won't notice changes to these folders unless a rescan is done.
It's not recommended to change files in owncloud's data-directory directly. If you need to do something like this use owncloud's external storage mount app, which assumes the mountpoint will be modified by other processes then owncloud. The external storage app has CIFS and local mountpoints available.

I recommend you mount the directory of your CIFS share to the owncloud jail using the storage tab. I'm not sure why you would ever use nullfs directly... this is exactly what the storage tab does for you.
Then you can use the app I mentioned, and use a local storage mount to access that directory.

Geek_Squad

Cadet
Thank you so much for the quick reply! Yes I was trying to add the files in the /media directory through CIFS using every way I could find. It is pretty clear that everything you are saying is accurate because owncloud doesn't notice anything changes at all in the directory. I guess the only part that really is throwing me off is that it worked and worked very well on my old FreeNAS and old Owncloud. I would be lying if I said I remembered what versions those were. I only used the mount_nullfs because an obscure reference somewhere that said the owncloud plugin wouldn't see it unless you manually added the mount point. I believe that with the current versions I will have to add external storage as you mentioned through the external storage app. I'll look into that some more I just didn't readily see the option available when looking through the plugin settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.