SOLVED Update Server could not be reached

ZodiacUHD

Patron
Hello everyone since the latest update (FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269)) i cannot check for update nor "pkg upgrade" and so forth.

This is what i'm getting when checking for updates:

Code:
Update server could not be reached

<urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known>

Traceback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/system/views.py", line 1460, in update_check
train=updateobj.get_train(),
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/system/models.py", line 586, in get_train
trains = conf.AvailableTrains() or []
File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Configuration.py", line 960, in AvailableTrains
fileref = self.TryGetNetworkFile(file=TRAIN_FILE, reason="FetchTrains")
File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Configuration.py", line 728, in TryGetNetworkFile
raise url_exc
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known>

Is anyone having the same issue or has something gone wrong during my update?

D

dlavigne

Can you ping the update server shown in System -> Update? If not, double-check your default gateway and DNS settings in Network -> Global Configuration.

ZodiacUHD

Patron
I cannot ping it and everything in Network -> Global Configuration is as it was before the update (blank, beside hostname and domain).

D

dlavigne

Until you can ping, you won't be able to reach the update server. Try adding 8.8.8.8 as a DNS server.

ZodiacUHD

Patron
Uhm, i still cannot ping it. I even tried to ping from my windows machine and i still cannot reach the update server or the plugin Repository URL.

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
This happened to me before, changing my default gateway from 0.0.0.0 to the proper IP fixed the issue.

EDIT: Wait, I made a mistake here (Yes, double check default gateway), but what fixed the update issue was actually System > General and changing WebGUI IPV4 Address From Local IP Address TO 0.0.0.0, My apologies.

Last edited:

Sean Coston

Contributor
This happened to me before, changing my default gateway from 0.0.0.0 to the proper IP fixed the issue.

EDIT: Wait, I made a mistake here (Yes, double check default gateway), but what fixed the update issue was actually System > General and changing WebGUI IPV4 Address From Local IP Address TO 0.0.0.0, My apologies.

Hmm not sure I'd do that... Make sure you have easy console access on the physical box if you try it.

sdc

ZodiacUHD

Patron
I had the same problem after updating. For some reason no nameserver was defined under Network => Global Configuration. Setting "Nameserver 1 " to 8.8.8.8 solved the problem for me.

Thank you, that solved it.

Wickedvt

Cadet
Hmm... same issue here, but I already have 8.8.8.8 as my nameserver and WebGUI IP4 has been 0.0.0.0 all along.

Wickedvt

Cadet
Ok... solved it, not sure what the issue was but deleting my nameservers, saving, entering them back in did the trick. D'oh...

conradb

Cadet
/Necro - thanks, this thread helped a tonne
I set
Nameserver1=my router
Nameserver2 = 8.8.8.8
No restart required - I'm still on v 9.3, busy upgrading in steps.