SOLVED Update from 11.0-U4 to 11.1 now reports DEGRADED status on pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
smartctl -a /dev/ada2 | grep Serial

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Then why did you ask how to identify them?

Thought maybe there was something more that could be done.
The drives themselves look fine. Replace dubious cables and scrub the pool.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
smartctl -a /dev/ada2 | grep Serial

That has been recommended for years, but the easier way is diskinfo -v ada2 | grep ident.

wblock

Documentation Engineer

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Water cooling, giant fans, add-on fan controllers, LED lighting, 97-button mice, that sort of thing. Some of those things have specific applications for gaming, but not so much for a NAS.

Redcoat

MVP
Overclocking?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Oh yes, definitely that too.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also there is nothing more that I can do at this point then other than replacing it?
Swap cables, swap motherboard ports, possibly swap power cables. I'm pretty sure all this is covered in @joeschmuck's guide.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
Well the scrub of the whole pool just completed and it just writes

Code:
Errors: 0			 Repaired: 122M

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
See the manual section 8.1.10, point 1. "If there is no Offline button but only a Replace button, the disk is already offlined and this step can be skipped."

André Fettouhi

Contributor
Well, I went through everything again on the server. Checked the connections again and pulled all the drives out in order to find out which drive was causing the issue. After identifying the problematic drive I turned the server on again. Now it reports the whole pool and the drive as healthy. No checksum errors at all and it has been running for 5 hours now. The new drive I ordered also arrived today, so I can switch the drive at any time. Bit unsure if I should replace it anyway now or just way and see it if the issue returns? I am getting though every two minutes in the console this warning

Code:
2017/12/18 14:49:09 [WARN] agent: Check 'service:nas-health' is now warning

Looking at the FreeNAS bugtracker this seems to be reported as bug. Or should I be concerned about this?

Redcoat

MVP
No, do not be concerned about that message.

It sounds as if replugging your drive may have eliminated the issue. I would run the SMART tests on the drive again. if it checks out OK I would continue to run the server and monitor it for any recurrence of issues.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Well, I went through everything again on the server. Checked the connections again and pulled all the drives out in order to find out which drive was causing the issue. After identifying the problematic drive I turned the server on again. Now it reports the whole pool and the drive as healthy. No checksum errors at all and it has been running for 5 hours now. The new drive I ordered also arrived today, so I can switch the drive at any time. Bit unsure if I should replace it anyway now or just way and see it if the issue returns? I am getting though every two minutes in the console this warning

Code:
2017/12/18 14:49:09 [WARN] agent: Check 'service:nas-health' is now warning

Looking at the FreeNAS bugtracker this seems to be reported as bug. Or should I be concerned about this?
I would just leave the drive and keep an eye on it. Making sure you have smart tests enabled and email notifications. You should also burn in that new drive to make sure it's actually ok to use.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
Ran smart tests on the drive again and it came up clean. So I added the drive back into the weekly smart tests again and leave it as it is for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.