Unsetting or moving pool should destroy the ix-applications dataset

Daisuke

Contributor
If I move or unset the Kubernetes pool, I expect the old dataset to be destroyed. It is not, on top of that the dataset content is duplicated, adding 1GB every time I move the pool to ix-applications dataset. After move, the dataset is now 2GB, previously it was 1GB on a clean Bluefin install, with no apps installed.

Unknown.png

I opened NAS-119574. For now, I'm manually deleting that dataset after moving it. If you have a large ix-applications dataset and you moved it several times, you can end-up with unjustifiably taken space from your /mnt/pool.

Last edited:

tprelog

Patron
I don't know if automagic deletion is the best idea. If I move the dataset I would expect the old one to be removed. But if I just unset the pool I might be surprised (not in a good way) if the dataset was deleted.

A possible compromise might be using a check box, allowing users the choice to destroy it or leave the existing dataset

danb35

Hall of Famer
But if I just unset the pool I might be surprised (not in a good way) if the dataset was deleted.
Certainly that would make a mess of the troubleshooting steps offered here:

...as well as @Daisuke's recommendation of "unset pool, reboot, choose pool" if k3s isn't running after an "upgrade" to Bluefin.

Daisuke

Contributor
I don't know if automagic deletion is the best idea.
The idea is to make sure there is no data duplication, like is happening now. I mean a single dataset keeps on growing, every time you move the pool into it. I honestly moved the pool once and was surprised to see the old dataset in place. When I moved back the pool, the dataset doubled in size. I think the unset pool option is a last resort, if you don’t have another pool.

radomirpolach

Explorer
If I move or unset the Kubernetes pool, I expect the old dataset to be destroyed. It is not, on top of that the dataset content is duplicated, adding 1GB every time I move the pool to ix-applications dataset. After move, the dataset is now 2GB, previously it was 1GB on a clean Bluefin install, with no apps installed.

View attachment 61477

I opened NAS-119574. For now, I'm manually deleting that dataset after moving it. If you have a large ix-applications dataset and you moved it several times, you can end-up with unjustifiably taken space from your /mnt/pool.
Your suggestion sounds crazy to me. Unset should not cause any delete of the data.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your reply sounds crazy to me. I recommended you learn how to talk to people
Clearly you're the expert in that field.
and after that, how to read a post and reply properly to it.
...and obviously in this as well.

In your haste to act offended (by something that, IMO at least, isn't anywhere close to any line of propriety), you've ignored the substance of the concern, which is the same concern already raised by the only two other people to comment on this suggestion. Taking faux offense and ignoring the substance is hardly the way "to read a post and reply properly to it."

jgreco

Resident Grinch
[mod hat on]

Forum members are gently reminded that we're all participating here to make things better. It is fine to hold an opinion as to whether or not automatic deletion or reorganization of data is a good or bad idea; there are clearly pros and cons. However, once it moves past that to being harsh about how people are talking to each other, then that's over the line.

Please remember that some users, and I'm just taking an educated guess here, such as @radomirpolach may not speak English as their first language, and so you should make every effort to read what is written as though people are genuinely offering their honest opinion.

learn how to talk to people and after that, how to read a post and reply properly to it.

As noted in my private response to you regarding your reported content, I could not find anything particularly offensive about message #5 above. It is fine for you to disagree with the poster on this point, but what you've posted above is inappropriate and rude. @danb35 sums it up nicely;

Taking faux offense and ignoring the substance is hardly the way "to read a post and reply properly to it."

Please be constructive or at least discuss it in a manner that is not rude.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't know if automagic deletion is the best idea. If I move the dataset I would expect the old one to be removed. But if I just unset the pool I might be surprised (not in a good way) if the dataset was deleted.

A possible compromise might be using a check box, allowing users the choice to destroy it or leave the existing dataset

I agree with this sentiment. Good software attempts to operate on something called the "Principle of Least Astonishment" and deleting user's data without explicitly informing them that they're about to do so would be something I'd consider "astonishing" in the unwanted sense of the word.