Unable to wipe the Disk - Operation not permitted

sunny4422000

Cadet
Hi Guys

I have just built a freenas on my esxi environment.

current set up : only one disk is used for data on freenas

After deleting the existing share and try to wipe the disk from the "view disk" tab, i'm receive the below error mesg.

really appreciate your help on this

Request Method: POSTRequest URL: http://10.0.6.37/storage/disks/wipe/da1/Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-U7 (b45bfcf29)Exception Type: MiddlewareErrorException Value: [MiddlewareError: Failed to wipe da1p1: dd: /dev/da1p1: Operation not permitted
]
Exception Location: ./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py in _do_disk_wipe_quick, line 3613Server time: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 05:02:30 -0700
Traceback

Request information
GET
No GET data
Variable Value __all__''method'quick'__form_id'form_DiskWipeForm' FILES
No FILES data
Variable Value csrftoken'********'sessionid'fgatg06o8rpb0i1tgjhpwecmj6gdtm1a'fntreeSaveStateCookie'root%2Croot%2F80%2Croot%2F92%2Croot%2F92%2F103%2Croot%2F92%2F96%2Croot%2F59%2Croot%2F59%2F66%2Croot%2F59%2F69%2Croot%2F59%2F60%2Croot%2F59%2F60%2F61' META
Variable Value

joeschmuck

Old Man
While I may not have the time to help you (I have a lot of chores on my wives list of things to do today), I can help you provide some data to the others in our group that will help them help you out.

You need to provide details on how you created your ESXi VM of FreeNAS. Is your FreeNAS data drive a Pass-through Controller, RDM, or just a VMDK? I use RDM myself but use to use Pass-through. VMDK is in general a bad idea but it can work in most situations. How much RAM did you provide the VM, how many CPU cores, and what is the hardware you are running on. I am running 11.2-U7 on ESXi 6.5.0 Update 3 build 14320405 without issue. I have given my VM 32GB RAM and RDM all four of my FreeNAS data hard drives. My VM of the FreeNAS boot drive (VMDK) also has 16GB of storage.

But if you do not want to mess with troublshooting the problem, it may be easier for you to destroy the VM of FreeNAS and start over. Once you have provided the needed data and anything else you can think of, someone should be able to help you. Why did I ask all these questions? Becasue we have no idea what you have set up nor what you may have done. It's difficult to guess when we don't have some of the basic data required.

Also, for testing purposes, using a single disk for FreeNAS data is fine, it will work without issue although this is not how FreeNAS was intended to be used normally.

Good Luck and please make sure that you read the User Guide, it's full of great information.

sunny4422000

Cadet
While I may not have the time to help you (I have a lot of chores on my wives list of things to do today), I can help you provide some data to the others in our group that will help them help you out.

You need to provide details on how you created your ESXi VM of FreeNAS. Is your FreeNAS data drive a Pass-through Controller, RDM, or just a VMDK? I use RDM myself but use to use Pass-through. VMDK is in general a bad idea but it can work in most situations. How much RAM did you provide the VM, how many CPU cores, and what is the hardware you are running on. I am running 11.2-U7 on ESXi 6.5.0 Update 3 build 14320405 without issue. I have given my VM 32GB RAM and RDM all four of my FreeNAS data hard drives. My VM of the FreeNAS boot drive (VMDK) also has 16GB of storage.

But if you do not want to mess with troublshooting the problem, it may be easier for you to destroy the VM of FreeNAS and start over. Once you have provided the needed data and anything else you can think of, someone should be able to help you. Why did I ask all these questions? Becasue we have no idea what you have set up nor what you may have done. It's difficult to guess when we don't have some of the basic data required.

Also, for testing purposes, using a single disk for FreeNAS data is fine, it will work without issue although this is not how FreeNAS was intended to be used normally.

Good Luck and please make sure that you read the User Guide, it's full of great information.

Thanks for the reply Joe

Interns of my set up

Esxi - 6.5 u1 with VSAN
FreeNAS hardware spec
16gb RAM
4 CPU’s 2 per core
40gb boot disk - vmdk
200gb data disk for FreeNAS - vmdk

I would rather prefer troubleshooting to understand how it works etc than creating a new VM.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So you have a 200GB VMDK file for storage. I'm still unsure why the system failed to wipe for simulated data drive. Did you reboot the FreeNAS VM? Taht would be my first thing to do just in case there was some open file holding up the wipe operation. Short of that I'd remove the vmdk for the data drive and recreate it and try it all over again.

Well I'm about to head out on vacation, long over due and I'm quite excited. I hope someone else is able to assist you with this, but try to recreate this problem, maybe it's a one time issue.