Unable to see Host Name in Windows - 8.3.1-Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well another unusual failure while attempting to install 8.3.1-Release on my actual freenas machine, not a VM. I have been unable to view my CIFS shares using the Host Name "\\freenas". I've never had this issue before. I can enter the actual ip address "\\192.168.1.51" and it can access the shares just fine.

This is a clean install of 8.3.1-Release, not an upgrade. I have reconfigured the system using screenshots of the 8.3.0 version which worked fine.

In my network settings I have:
GLOBAL:
Host name: freenas
Domain: local
IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Nameserver 1: 192.168.1.1
All other fields blank.

INTERFACE:
Netmask: /24 (255.255.255.0)
All other fields blank/unchecked.

I've rebooted the NAS, Router, My PC and nothing helps.

It's getting late in the evening so I'll give this another shot tomorrow after work. I'd like to know if anyone has installed 8.3.1-Release (not upgraded) and if they don't have this problem.

My system configuration is listed below except that the software is 8.3.1-Release and I do not have the Plugins installed. I have no odd configurations, just the basics being checked out right now.

-Mark

EDIT: I did not mention I was not using DHCP but that should have been assumed based on my configuration.

I have confirmed that this is not working. Here is some additional details...

Code:

[root@freenas ~]# ifconfig
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC
>       ether 50:e5:49:b7:89:64
        inet 192.168.1.51 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xa
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV> [root@freenas ~]#

And I am attempting to attach a clip of my network summary...
Network.JPG

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Is your router aware of what "freenas" is?

your computer needs to resolve the name to something, and it will use your dns server (usually your router) to do so. BUT, your router needs to know what IP address is associated with the hostname 'freenas'

ProtoSD

MVP
OR it needs to be in the "hosts" file on that computer.

Mark, you don't usually miss stuff like that, so either you're having one of those days, or there's a real problem. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some routers will not handle static IPs set on the computer. For this reason I always recommend people stick to using DHCP. Your router settings should allow you to setup a static IP based on the MAC address.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Not sure what happened but after shutting down my entire network and all the computers, bringing things back online and it works properly, as I expect.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
OR it needs to be in the "hosts" file on that computer.

Mark, you don't usually miss stuff like that, so either you're having one of those days, or there's a real problem. :)

ewwwww hosts file....if you have a network big enough to warrant a NAS, you should not be using hosts files to maintain DNS resolution

ProtoSD

MVP
ewwwww hosts file....if you have a network big enough to warrant a NAS, you should not be using hosts files to maintain DNS resolution

Well both Mark and I have a small home network, and a lot of people with NAS's are home users with less than a dozen systems, so that's that necessarily true.

gpsguy

Ahh, I was going to say the same thing!

Well both Mark and I have a small home network, and a lot of people with NAS's are home users with less than a dozen systems, so that's that necessarily true.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek

anything > 1 client PC should constitute using some form of DNS (router, etc) over hosts files.

I realize I might be a minority here with 30+ 'clients' in my house (VMs, desktops, laptops, HTPCs, various servers) but even at 3 measly desktops I utilized DNS to save the trouble of forgetting the hosts file entry on one computer.

JaimieV

Guru
Yer modern Windows, Linux, OSX and FreeBSD all advertise their names in a peer-to-peer friendly way (avahi, SMB announce, Bonjour, whatever), so very few normal users need to set up home-internal DNS.

That said, I have one here. But it's from before everything did reliably advertise, back when I was hosting Amigas, SGI's, Classic Macs and whatnot. I don't really need it at all any more, since everything the peer anounce doesn't do, my router's DHCP server pretty much covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.