Unable to log into qBittorrent web UI

eshutah

Dabbler
I have been learning FreeNAS since late January 2020. I purchased a used server:

"SuperMicro 4U CSE-846 24 Bay SAS2 BP X9DRi-F/2x W/ 2x E5-2620 32GB IT MODE"

To replace a dead Drobo5N. I used Unix 30 years ago, and wrote Linux device drivers 15 years ago. I'm not sure if the prior experience helped or hindered learning FreeBSD/FreeNAS or not. Either way becoming a DIY system administrator has been interesting.

I installed qBittorrent in a jail about four months ago. I recall the install process being straightforward. The overall system was never really stable until I swapped out the recommended USB thumb drive for an old laptop hard drive. It was smooth sailing after that.

Recently I went to update, qBittorrent 4.2.5. There were some errors that I don't recall, so I decided to simply kill off the jail and reinstall from scratch. There were some complaints from the OS during install (again, I don't remember what) so I set it aside for a few days. I had gone into the advanced settings and enabled tunneling in the expectation of also installing PrivateInternetService. I had not enabled tunneling before install the first install, so I tried again without it and qBittorrent installed. Now that status is qBittorrent 4.2.5 is running but I cannot log into the WebUI with the default login and password.

In using google on the web and search on this site, the only information I have found is to delete the password from the conf file. There isn't one that I can find.

I'm running Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2

I went to the command line inside the jail:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
root@qbittorrent:~ # pwd
/root
root@qbittorrent:~ # cd ..
root@qbittorrent:/ # cd .config
root@qbittorrent:/.config # ls

qBittorrent
root@qbittorrent:/.config # cd q*
root@qbittorrent:/.config/qBittorrent # ls
qBittorrent-data.conf qBittorrent.conf rss
root@qbittorrent:/.config/qBittorrent # cat *.conf
[Stats]
AllStats
oot@qbittorrent:/ # cd .config
root@qbittorrent:/.config # ls
qBittorrent
root@qbittorrent:/.config # cd q*
root@qbittorrent:/.config/qBittorrent # ls
qBittorrent-data.conf qBittorrent.conf rss
root@qbittorrent:/.config/qBittorrent # cat *.conf

The contents of qBittorrent-conf:

[Stats]
AllStats=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1c\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\x12\0\x41\0l\0l\0t\0i\0m\0\x65\0U\0L\0\0\0\x5\0\0\0\0\0\v\x12\xc8\0\0\0\x12\0\x41\0l\0l\0t\0i\0m\0\x65\0\x44\0L\0\0\0\x5\0\0\0\0\0\t\xc6\x80)

The contents of qBittorrent.conf:

[Preferences]
Connection\PortRangeMin=29743
Queueing\QueueingEnabled=false
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do and those who come after do about this?

Thanks,

-Evan

meener

Cadet
Confirmed here also. Web search shows this problem is very common and there is seemingly no actual fix for this? Restarting seems like a common "fix"...

eshutah

Dabbler
I tried installing a second copy, in case my other reinstall attempts were preserving settings. Still no luck. I have restarted the system, restarted the jail and reinstalled the app. I have also tried deleting what I understand to be the file that stores the passwords. I don't feel good being whiny and unappreciative of free software, but still...

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Go to the terminal for the jail and type service qbittorrent-nox restart and try logging in again. I have to do this every time I have to reboot the server. For some reason it doesn't start correctly but restarting the service works. It's been this way for a while now for me.

eshutah

Dabbler
Ok, I figured out the problem (in my case). Firefox security. I have a direct connection between my FreeNAS server and my desktop computer. Not that it matters - Firefox sees the connection as not secure, but it did cause me to not pay much attention to security. In the case of the FreeNAS web interface Firefox popped up a warning and allowed me to create an exception in Firefox's security world for FreeNAS. I am not getting the popup asking for an exception with the when I access the QBitTorrent web UI through Firefox. It ends up looking like QBitTorrent is acting up when you enter the password. I'm currently looking for the workaround in the Firefox settings.

I accessed the QBitTorrent UI with Chrome. It worked. No problem. Looking back, I'm not sure what I should have done differently, but I do owe the FreeNAS people and the QBitTorrent people an apology for all the things I have been muttering!

-Evan

ciacnorris

Cadet
Ok, I figured out the problem (in my case). Firefox security. I have a direct connection between my FreeNAS server and my desktop computer. Not that it matters - Firefox sees the connection as not secure, but it did cause me to not pay much attention to security. I am not getting the popup asking for an exception with the when I access the QBitTorrent web UI through Firefox. It ends up looking like QBitTorrent is acting up when you enter the password.

I accessed the QBitTorrent UI with Chrome. It worked. No problem.

Same problem here. Have you found a solution with Firefox?

eshutah

Dabbler
My answer is yes/no/maybe. Once I got into Qbittorrent, I went to options/Web UI/Authentication. I checked "bypass authentication for clients on the localhost" and "Bypass authentication for clients in whitelisted IP subnets". I added my computer's LAN IP, and I have been happy ever since.

Notice my fix was on the Qbittorrent end, not the Firefox end, so it isn't a solution with Firefox per se. I don't think enabling localhost is necessary, but at my house I'm more concerned with convenience than security.

-Evan

starche.old

Dabbler
Guys, I have a question.

What's the login/password to log into web UI? Looks I cannot figure that out. Nor root, nor homeuser, nor admin/adminadmin are working for me.

Thank you.

eshutah

Dabbler
Been a while, but for the next person... After installing qBittorrent there is a "Post Install Notes" button on the bottom of the plugin entry on the "Plugins" page. Clicking that will pop open a page telling you the default username and password. Funny - having used mainframes and networks for so many years I cannot bring myself to type the username and password here.

SSSSAT

Dabbler
Same problem here, can anyone help me out?

I can't login on qbittorrent web UI anymore , I'm 100% sure the credentials aren't changed yet it doesn't accept it.

What can I do to regain access to it?

What can I do to regain access to it?
The file that contains the WebUI username and password is /var/db/qBittorrent/conf/qBittorrent/config/qBittorrent.conf

The password is encrypted, so you can't simply "retrieve" it.

You can always *reset it. You should also check that the ownership/permissions did not change for /var/db/qBittorrent

* To reset it (all from within the jail):
  1. Stop the qBittorrent service (service qbittorrent stop)
  2. Delete the lines in the .conf file: WebUI\Password_PBKDF2 and WebUI\Username
  3. Restart the service (service qbittorrent restart)
  4. Login with the default username admin and password adminadmin

Last edited:

SSSSAT

Dabbler
The file that contains the WebUI username and password is /var/db/qBittorrent/conf/qBittorrent/config/qBittorrent.conf

The password is encrypted, so you can't simply "retrieve" it.

You can always *reset it. You should also check that the ownership/permissions did not change for /var/db/qBittorrent

* To reset it (all from within the jail):
  1. Stop the qBittorrent service (service qbittorrent stop)
  2. Delete the lines in the .conf file: WebUI\Password_PBKDF2 and WebUI\Username
  3. Restart the service (service qbittorrent restart)
  4. Login with the default username admin and password adminadmin
This sounds like a great idea but how do I open this conf file, where is it? I've been googling but don't immediately find it.

TOtal linux noob too, should I do this all via the 'shell' function?

thanks so much for the reply btw

You'd have to enter the jail via the command: iocage console jailname

Then use typical Unix commands to navigate to the directory, edit the file, and exit. You can then restart the jail from the TrueNAS GUI.

SSSSAT

Dabbler
You'd have to enter the jail via the command: iocage console jailname

Then use typical Unix commands to navigate to the directory, edit the file, and exit. You can then restart the jail from the TrueNAS GUI.
Good stuff, I'm trying but iocage isn't working, the command is not found;

0PJlc2s.png

Even a simple
iocage list -l
isn't working

Blufaer

Cadet
I confirm, I reinstalled the application today and webui login not working
Version 4.6.1_1.1.3
path config fore SCALE - /mnt/apps_store/ix-applications/releases/qbittorrent/volumes/ix_volumes/config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf

Config not include any "Passw" line
/mnt/apps_store/ix-applications/releases/qbittorrent/volumes/ix_volumes/config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf[BitTorrent]
--------
Session\DefaultSavePath=/downloads
Session\Port=50413
Session\QueueingSystemEnabled=true
Session\TempPath=/downloads/temp

[LegalNotice]
Accepted=true

[Meta]
MigrationVersion=6

[Network]
Cookies=@Invalid()
Proxy\HostnameLookupEnabled=false
Proxy\Profiles\BitTorrent=true
Proxy\Profiles\Misc=true
Proxy\Profiles\RSS=true

[Preferences]
WebUI\HostHeaderValidation=false
WebUI\LocalHostAuth=false
WebUI\Port=30024
WebUI\UseUPnP=false
--------

There was a "fix" in version 4.6.1:
  • WEBUI: Drop WebUI default credentials (glassez)

So, apparently, if you never set your own password, this will essentially lock you out, unless you caught the randomly generated password in the console messages.

One way to get around this is to downgrade to 4.6.0, manually set a new password, and then re-upgrade to 4.6.1 again. (See my post below this for an alternative method.)

* Starting with version 4.6.1, there is no "default" password anymore. It will randomly generate a password for you, which will be revealed in the console messages.

Last edited:
To hopefully save you guys the headache, see if this works...

Set in your *config file the following two values. Make sure to either replace them (if they already exist), or add them if they don't.

Username is: user
WebUI\Username=user

Password is: changeme
WebUI\Password_PBKDF2="@ByteArray(JV6GEa/BpNgsawy8D1QGtg==:6y1AosLh2CJ6g79R5lXIaiuwWjHK1j9fLTGiUM1mbVspBPwoCMvnMEbxsMCO07o5A/M1MohAQU9+0VL0Pa/tvg==)"

Now try to login to the Web UI with the username user and the password changeme

Then from there you can change it to whatever you want in the UI's settings.

* I don't use SCALE, but an example of where this persistent config file is located:
/mnt/<poolname>/ix-applications/releases/qbittorrent/volumes/ix_volumes/config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf

** You'll have to stop the App before applying the changes to the config file. Then start the App after you're done.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't use SCALE, but an example of where this persistent config file is located:
As an alternative, Heavyscript makes it straightforward to mount/unmount PVC storage, which is where this file would be located. But rolling back to 4.6.0_16.1.1, setting the password, and then updating again, is probably more straightforward.