Unable to import (encrypted) volume after upgrade

petemounce

Cadet
I've just upgraded from 11.1-U6 to 11.1-U6.3 because of a USB drive failure on my mirrored freenas-boot. At the same time, my system-dataset (also on mirrored USB drives) failed. This has not been a great start to the year.

I have created a fresh freenas-boot pair (11.1-U6.3) on fresh USBs via a config backup (which I believe included the password seed). I have created a fresh system-dataset on a single USB (I have an SSD I intend to use for this purpose, _after_ I have recovered my main volume).

I have an encrypted volume, vol1, that I now cannot import after a reboot. AFAIK there's no issue with the disks themselves or the data stored within.

The UI tells me:

Code:
Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-U6.3 (35cbff5a1)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://orion.local/storage/volume/1/unlock/?X-Progress-ID=c6115303-6101-4bb4-89d0-d35d18faa0e0

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
  42.             response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
  249.             response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
  178.             response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  162.         return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  23.                 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/storage/views.py" in volume_unlock
  1033.             form.done(volume=volume)
File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in done
  2870.             raise MiddlewareError(msg)

Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /storage/volume/1/unlock/
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: Volume could not be imported: 4 devices failed to decrypt]

I have a monitor plugged in, and it tells me:

Code:
{timestamp} wsgi: [middleware.notifier:2547] Importing vol14795237512355458676 failed with: cannot import '147925237512355458676': no such pool available

(Can't tell if there's a line break after the vol1 or whether that's the screen wrapping).

In a shell, basic diagnosis (and, I'm not highly familiar with which commands to run, but very willing to learn):

Code:
[root@orion ~]# zpool status                                                                                                        
  pool: dotsys-green                                                                                                                
 state: ONLINE                                                                                                                      
  scan: none requested                                                                                                              
config:                                                                                                                             

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                    
        dotsys-green                                  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                    
          gptid/a3423cdb-1742-11e9-8ce0-d05099c0adce  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                    

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                        

pool: freenas-boot                                                                                                                
 state: ONLINE                                                                                                                      
  scan: none requested                                                                                                              
config:                                                                                                                             

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                                                      
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                    
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                      
            da0p2   ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                      
            da1p2   ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                      

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                        
[root@orion ~]# zpool list                                                                                                          
NAME           SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT                                                   
dotsys-green  12.5G  7.68M  12.5G         -     0%     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt                                                      
freenas-boot  28.5G   797M  27.7G         -      -     2%  1.00x  ONLINE  -                          

Based on some reading of the forum, it strikes me as likely that the IDs have changed, so I will need to do a permutation of
Code:
zpool import

The user-guide, 8.1.6, suggests the same - I should be importing a volume. When I go to that option, choose "decrypt disks" and proceed, the next page gives me no disks in the multi-select. Screenshot: import-volume.png

I'm sufficiently unfamiliar that I'd like to check how to proceed first, since clearly I don't want to hose my data.

petemounce

Cadet
On reading a bit further, I'm pretty sure that this is the pertinent bit of that manual section:

For security reasons, GELI keys for encrypted volumes are not saved in a configuration backup file. When FreeNAS® has been installed to a new device and a saved configuration file restored to it, the GELI keys for encrypted disks will not be present, and the system will not request them. To correct this, export the encrypted volume with Detach Volume, making sure that the options Mark the disks as new (destroy data) or Also delete the share’s configuration are not selected. Then import the volume again. During the import, the GELI keys can be entered as described above.

?