Unable to connect to Multi-user time machine Share

ssalb

Cadet
Server: TrueNAS-12.0-U8
Client with issue: Mac OS Monterey 12.x.x
Share: SMB with Multi-User time machine set for Purpose

Recently updated from FreeNAS v11 last release to TrueNAS-12.0-U8, Pool updated. Since updating to TrueNAS, I've been unable to mount one of my existing TimeMachine shares either via name or IP address when share is set to "Multi-user time machine". Share was working great with TM on same client prior to upgrade. Another older Mac is connecting to different AFP share and TM is backing up.

The share is visible by name when browsing the Network. I've removed and added the share in TrueNAS without any change.

If I change "Purpose" of share to "Default Share Parameters" I can then connect to the share, but its not available for TimeMachine.
Removed Mac OS KeyChain entries related to the share.

When attempting to connect I'm prompted to enter user name and password, but then get "There was a problem connecting to the server" error. Another share with same credentials connects OK.

I've attached screen pics
Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 12.57.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 12.57.58 PM.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 11.39.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 11.39.55 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 206

twyrick

Dabbler
Not sure if you ever got your issue resolved? But for what it's worth? I used to have my TrueNAS backing up a single Mac with Time Machine using the default setup from a long time ago where they used Apple's AFP protocol with it.

I finally decided I wanted to start backing up 2 Macs at once and quickly learned I'd need to scrap my existing configuration and set it up to back up via SMB protocol instead, with each Mac backing up to its own individual dataset (to avoid any possible corruption).

I encountered some issues with several different sets of instructions I found online, until I watched this YouTube tutorial and followed their steps completely: