How to create Time Machine share?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hi all,

for the first time trying multi user time machine on TrueNAS 13-U1.

1. Join Active Directory domain, pw user show shows all domain users.
2. Create dataset: fusion/share/tm, share type SMB.
3. Create share, Purpose "Multi-user time machine".
4. On Mac open TM settings, add volume, "tm" volume is visible, user authentication works, too.
5. But adding fails with "The chosen volume does not support the required features" or some such - my UI is in German.

I did not fiddle with the advanced settings, just picked the "Purpose" and gave it a go. When the user connected a new dataset with the name of that user was created, which belongs to the domain user - great, exactly what I want.

Any hints welcome.
Patrick

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-20 um 15.45.11.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-20 um 15.45.11.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 101

c77dk

Patron
have you replaced ixnas.so ? Otherwise try giving that a go ( don't have the link handy right now - @anodos posted it in another thread)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
No, I have not yet. Thought that would only apply to people using the Windows explorer to adjust the Security settings.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Replacing the ixnas.so module made it work.

Now, what's the best way to set a quota for all the time machine users? Same fixed value for all, even the ones whose dedicated datasets are not yet to be created when the user logs on. I would prefer not to have to go to each user's dataset and set it there ...

Does the "time machine quota" (similar, from memory) parameter work again in Samba?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Replacing the ixnas.so module made it work.

Now, what's the best way to set a quota for all the time machine users? Same fixed value for all, even the ones whose dedicated datasets are not yet to be created when the user logs on. I would prefer not to have to go to each user's dataset and set it there ...

Does the "time machine quota" (similar, from memory) parameter work again in Samba?

Well, if you want ZFS dataset quotas:
zfs_core:dataset_auto_quota = 1T for a 1 TiB dataset quota on dataset creation

zfs_core:base_user_quota = 1T for a 1 TiB user quota for connected user on dataset creation

Both are aux parameters for share.