Unable to connect to Home shares via SMB from macOS

GJSchaller

Contributor
Hello! I have a brand new iXsystems TrueNAS that I am setting up. I've added the disks, created the Pool, and followed the documentation. My household is primarily Mac based, with one Windows user, so I am working mostly in a macOS environment. The system is running TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1, updated from U8.0 when it came out of the box.

I can create various shares, and connect to them from my Mac without issue. When I attempt to create a Home share using SMB, and then attempt to connect to it from my Mac, I get the error "There was a problem connecting to the server (IP Address). You do not have permission to access this server."

Given it's a new setup, I deleted all my users, deleted the Pool, re-built it, re-created the Datasets, re-created the Share, and I'm still having the same issue. I can still connect to non-Home shares without an issue, and I can even FTP into them when I test that - I just can't connect via SMB.

Given I am in a mostly Mac environment, what are my options? Is this a TrueNAS issue, an SMB issue? Should I go for NFS instead? (AFP is being depreciated, I understand.). The only complication I can think of is that I created, deleted, and re-created my Users a few times in the process of setting things up and troubleshooting this.

Thank you for any help and advice!

GJSchaller

Contributor
I figured it out - I was using a mix of cases in my Usernames, Directory names, and Share names. Once I shifted everything to lower case, it worked as expected,