Unable to connect to SMB shares from MacOS - used to work fine

ExR90

Cadet
I cannot connect to any SMB shares on this system since upgrading to 13.0-U3.1. Regardless if I use hostname or IP, I do not even get far enough to get prompted for credentials. I just rather quickly get a pop-up saying "There was a problem connecting to the server IPADDRESS" and "The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time...........".

I CAN access these shares from windows machines just fine. Interestingly I CAN connect to SMB shares on a different TrueNAS Core system running exact same version of Truenas Core, so I am not sure if the version upgrade is related. I can't determine what the difference is between them. I have tried enabling the Mac SMB extensions (and restarting SMB) without any change.

Even weirder, if I run a terminal window on the Mac, then use smbutil, I CAN see the shares and if I use mount_smbfs to mount the share that way it works fine there too. I thought this might be a MacOS UI issue, but it connects to the other system fine. Very odd.

Ideas?

MacOS 13.1
TrueNAS core 13.0-U3.1

adamcarnahan

Cadet
We're fighting this battle as well. One thing i notice in the wireshark captures is that SMBv1 requests will not get a response. Once the mac fails over to an SMBv2 request it will negotiate with the server and connect. We haven't found the settings yet for a mac to disable SMBv1 entirely so that it's forced to a v2 or even v3 negotiation.

mathematics28

Dabbler
any resolution on this? I can't access my smb shares on my Mac but I can on windows. and I was able to do this just fine until io set up a Time Machine backup last night on truenas.