Need to restart SMB service for Apple Users

Mr.K

Cadet
Hi everybody,
I cannot get this problem sorted. I have a fresh installation of TrueNas Core 13.0-U3.1 with different SMB shares (ACL). Everything is working fine for windows users. Unfortunately I have issues with apple users. Randomly I get an error message stating missing permissions on different macs. Credentials weren't changed. Affected macs can connect without issues after a restart of the smb service - until the error recurs.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Matthias

what's the output of testparm -s

Mr.K

Cadet
Hi Johnny,
here's the output:

[Freigabe]
ea support = No
guest ok = No
kernel share modes = No
path = /mnt/RAID/Freigabe
posix locking = No
read only = No
smbd max xattr size = 2097152
vfs objects = streams_xattr shadow_copy_zfs ixnas zfs_core aio_fbsd
nfs4:chown = true

Best, Matthias

Can we get a shot of the permissions on one of the shares and also are users local or Active Directory?

A shot of the error would be good too please.

Rob Granger

Dabbler
Hi everybody,
I cannot get this problem sorted. I have a fresh installation of TrueNas Core 13.0-U3.1 with different SMB shares (ACL). Everything is working fine for windows users. Unfortunately I have issues with apple users. Randomly I get an error message stating missing permissions on different macs. Credentials weren't changed. Affected macs can connect without issues after a restart of the smb service - until the error recurs.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Matthias
I am seeing something similar with 13, but mine is the shares are not visible. I have them setup to use as Time Machine destinations and sometimes they don't show up in the disk picker of TM. What I have noticed is that if I go to any of the Sharing/SMB pick a share and Edit and just it save, they all populate back in Time Machine. So I don't have an answer but try just opening a share and saving rather than rebooting.
Code:
DELL T710
Xeon
ECC 12 GB
Version:  
TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1

[TM-BIGGERMAC]
    ea support = No
    guest ok = Yes
    mangled names = no
    path = /mnt/tank/TimeMachine-Dataset/TM-BIGGERMAC/%U
    read only = No
    smbd max xattr size = 2097152
    vfs objects = tmprotect catia fruit streams_xattr shadow_copy_zfs ixnas zfs_core aio_fbsd
    fruit:metadata = stream
    fruit:locking = none
    fruit:resource = stream
    zfs_core:zfs_auto_create = true
    fruit:time machine = yes
    fruit:encoding = native
    nfs4:chown = true

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I am seeing something similar with 13, but mine is the shares are not visible. I have them setup to use as Time Machine destinations and sometimes they don't show up in the disk picker of TM. What I have noticed is that if I go to any of the Sharing/SMB pick a share and Edit and just it save, they all populate back in Time Machine. So I don't have an answer but try just opening a share and saving rather than rebooting.
Similar here. TM share did not show up in TM. To make it work I had to mount it manually (like a regular share) and then it was available in TM. After having selected it then as the TM target, I could unmount it and it has worked ever since.

Rob Granger

Dabbler
I will try a perma mount. I have two destinations, local attached USB and a Network share. It won't reliably find/use/ the network share. was just getting no route to host, went to netapp, edited the share and saved, and poof, Bob's your Uncle. Kinda flaky

Mr.K

Cadet
Hi everybody,
I made a little progress regarding the initial issue. Mac users mount different SMB shares of different servers at startup. Apple OS is trying to connect via a username of a different share regardless the entered/saved credentials in apple keychain. This specific user also exists in TrueNas but lacks the needed permissions of the share.
I searched the net and found many threats regarding SSO/Kerberos. Since TrueNas is still configured with a local user db this shouldn't be an issue?
I also couldn't find a way to force Apple OS to use the assigned credentials for each specific share.

End of story - I gave the needed permissions to the useraccount until TrueNas is connected to AD.

Best regards,

Matthias

Rob Granger

Dabbler
Well, I found what I think was the issue. I had both NFS and SMB on the same mount. Apparently that kills the

Service:_adisk._tcp. And that didn't really fix things. I have given up and just reset the avahi-daemon every 5 minutes.
Added the following to the Cron Jobs. The plus side is it doesn't shut down SMB shares while resetting.

/usr/sbin/service avahi-daemon restart

test with

dns-sd -L [your server name] _adisk._tcp

I think there is probably still a break in service/response but 5 minutes is enough that TimeMachine doesn't time out and I can seem to always browse my available disks from TM Add Disk.