Username datasets created beneath smb share

storage-junkie

Dabbler
I've got a weird thing happening and no idea why.

I created a new dataset for TimeMachine backups. Created an smb share for it using multi-user time machine as the preset. First time I connect to the share, truenas creates a new dataset for my username beneath the Time Machine dataset. If I delete the child dataset, next time I connect it comes back. What is going on?

(Truenas 12.0-U3)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 10.14.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 10.14.00 AM.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 187

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've got a weird thing happening and no idea why.

I created a new smb share for TimeMachine backups. Selected the multi-user time machine as the preset. First time I connect to the share, truenas creates a new dataset for my username beneath the Time Machine dataset. If I delete the child dataset, next time I connect it comes back. What is going on?
That's a feature of that particular preset. Each user gets their own dataset so that they each have their own snapshots. This means worst-case scenario if you need to roll back a particular time machine backup, you can do it without impacting the others.

storage-junkie

Dabbler
Ok - my user account can access the share just fine, but my wife's cannot. I'm guessing this is because I'm the one who created it. The timemachine dataset was configured with the 'Open' ACL preset. Any ideas on what I need to change to get my wife's account working? She can access other shares on this machine just fine, so it's not a bad password issue. I also see that it created a child dataset for her when she tried to authenticate against it.

storage-junkie

Dabbler
Turns out I had some bad perms set at a higher level up that were interfering. Got it working now!