UI and GUI crash after Removal of 3 disks on ZFS2

Hellrazorx

Dabbler
Hi,

I've been testing a fresh install on a rig on which I setup
-A pool
-A dataset
-A smb Share (I didn't test while this one is disabled tho)

I can freely disconnect two drives at a time with no problems at all, Swapping and all.

If I ever disconnect a third drive, the pool gets offline. (expected)
But the web GUI goes ''System disconnect or blabla''
And I can get the SSH prompt but freezes when trying to input password.

On the physical server, I can ask for a reboot but will take forever to close pending tasks.

I can reconnect all drives and do a hard reset physically. Everything goes back to normal after that.
But I think this is not official procedure!
Note: Just to point out, I am aware that the possibility of three drives dying in such a short span is nearly impossible.
I'm mostly thinking this may cause a problem if I use multiple pools, if for some reason a small ZFS array dies, why would the entire system be compromised?

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Where is your system dataset?

Hellrazorx

Dabbler
Where is your system dataset?
Onto two separate SSD's, selected at install

If I manually reboot the system when it's feezed (Hard reset, no choice), I can get back access to the UI once it rebooted.

I also tried doing the test when disabling SMB services, the system crashes the same way.

Last edited:

ginjiruu

Cadet
Having a similar issue doing some initial tests. However it happens whenever a vdev goes completely offline. eg we removed both de-dupe drives from our system causing the webgui to become inaccessible. Any ideas why this happens?
Rebooting also fixed the webgui in our case

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Onto two separate SSD's, selected at install
Not the boot pool. The system dataset. Please check in the settings: System > System Dataset.

If it's on the storage pool you forcefully offlined, the system comes to a halt. This is expected. If you run your boot pool on a pair of SSDs you can put the system dataset there.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also, if you were using swap at the time, pulling drives could cause problems there. Swap is mirrored, but loss of more than one disk greatly increases the chances of a mirror failing, and thus swap failing.

ginjiruu

Cadet
Not the boot pool. The system dataset. Please check in the settings: System > System Dataset.

If it's on the storage pool you forcefully offlined, the system comes to a halt. This is expected. If you run your boot pool on a pair of SSDs you can put the system dataset there.
Changing the system dataset fixed it for me. Thanks a ton!