File not updating on SMB and macOs Ventura

BakaPhoenix

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I finished installing TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.1 but i encoutnered some little annoying problem when connecting my mac mini using macOs Ventura 13.2.1.
The connection between the mac is with SMB and the share is set as Multi-protocol (NFSv3/SMB) shares.

I can access it with my mac no problem can read and write on it but if something else that is not the mac add or delete a file (be another pc or a app on k8s) the change don't show in the files, I need to disconnect the nas and reconnect to see the changes.

I know that people are reporting issues with SMB shares on Ventura but i did't find much about this particular issue.
There is any fix or workaround about this problem?
Is kinda annoying because i'm using the nas to sync my phone photo using Nextcloud and everytime i need to disconnect(that for some reason take a while) and reconnect just to see the new files.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I'd be interested to know if the issue is specific to the mixed SMB/NFS setting.

It sounds like the Mac is not requesting a directory listing... or is not getting a change notification.

BakaPhoenix

Cadet
I made some more test on both a multi protocol share and a default smb share and i get the same error, but i noticed that the non update only happens if i upload a new file in a folder or subfolder of the share.
For example if i upload a file directly on the root folder of the share the new file is shown, but if i upload in a folder then don't get updated. Saw this behaviour on both nextcloud and qbittorrent.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I made some more test on both a multi protocol share and a default smb share and i get the same error, but i noticed that the non update only happens if i upload a new file in a folder or subfolder of the share.
For example if i upload a file directly on the root folder of the share the new file is shown, but if i upload in a folder then don't get updated. Saw this behaviour on both nextcloud and qbittorrent.

So, its Ok if the uploaded file is directly in the share... not in a folder of the share?

Any chance if you can see whether the same behaviour exists on Windows SMB client?
Same question for an earlier version of MacOS?

Obviously, would like to see if its a TrueNAS issue or a MacOS issue.

BakaPhoenix

Cadet
So, its Ok if the uploaded file is directly in the share... not in a folder of the share?
Exactly, at least when doing it with nextcloud (can't really test with torrent becasue i only gave it access to a subfolder).

Using windos there is no problem, the file shows as soon it get uploaded regardless if is directly share or in a folder.
I tested on a old macbook pro i had running 10.15.2 and saw it fine.
But after it updated on the laptop i went to check on the mini (that still didn't show the file i sent yesterday because i didn't disconnect the share) for some reason it appeared.

I'm very confused by this behaviour.

So i tried again and downloaded a torrent and now it show in al 3 computer.
I have no idea on what is happening o_O

This time i turn off the laptop and disconnected the share and tried with another torrent and this time it show fine on the mac mini.
I'll try agian in the next days to see if somewhat it fixed itself but i have to say is a really weird behaviour

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Exactly, at least when doing it with nextcloud (can't really test with torrent becasue i only gave it access to a subfolder).

Using windos there is no problem, the file shows as soon it get uploaded regardless if is directly share or in a folder.
I tested on a old macbook pro i had running 10.15.2 and saw it fine.
But after it updated on the laptop i went to check on the mini (that still didn't show the file i sent yesterday because i didn't disconnect the share) for some reason it appeared.

I'm very confused by this behaviour.

So i tried again and downloaded a torrent and now it show in al 3 computer.
I have no idea on what is happening o_O

This time i turn off the laptop and disconnected the share and tried with another torrent and this time it show fine on the mac mini.
I'll try agian in the next days to see if somewhat it fixed itself but i have to say is a really weird behaviour

Thanks for all the testing... some of these issues can be dependent on specific situation and amount of RAM available. It sounds like the client lost s directory update?

We'd prefer something that is easily reproducable before chasing a TrueNAS bug.