My pool is in disarray.

TR4L

Dabbler
I have several issues that may be complicated (definitely for me).

Note: My system now has 4 RED WD drives. The 2 bad black WD drives have been replaced. This pool should consist of 2 main drives and 2 mirrored drives

The 1st and MOST important issue is that my pool is in a degraded state but all drives report that they are functioning properly. I'm assuming that a failed drive copied over corrupted information before being replaced. My intent is to copy all my important data to an external drive and replace the pool with a new one (after upgrading from Freenas 11 to the latest TrueNAS).

I'm going to identify each drive based on their physical location in my NAS (Bay 1-4). If I disconnect EITHER Bay 1 or Bay 3, the Pool no longer appears in the GUI. Bay 2 and 4 can be disconnected without an issue. I'm not exactly sure what this means, but I'm assuming that these 2 drives are my only copies of the pool (I don't know how to confirm this) and both my other drives are a mirror of only 1 of the drives.

I would like to attempt to fix this in an attempt to learn more about my NAS. Because of the fact that I have already backed up all my data (and am going to double check by copying it again), I'm not too concerned about losing anything. That being said, I still have access to all my data because the pool is still functioning when Bay 1 and 3 are connected.

Finally, what is the best (and easiest) way to identify all my drives without reading the SN on the drives or disconnecting/reconnecting the drives to see which ones appear and disappear? Thank you for your help in advance.

NugentS

MVP
"Finally, what is the best (and easiest) way to identify all my drives without reading the SN on the drives or disconnecting/reconnecting the drives to see which ones appear and disappear?"
There isn't one.

I am not familiar with FreeNAS 11 as I only started using TN in anger when it became TN. However (and I hope I am correct)

zpool status - will tell you the pool status, what disks are where
glabel status - will map /dev/ to GPTID

Then power down, pull each disk, one at a time noting its serial number and where it is. Power back up and look in the disks section which should enable you to map S/N to /dev

I hope

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
"Finally, what is the best (and easiest) way to identify all my drives without reading the SN on the drives or disconnecting/reconnecting the drives to see which ones appear and disappear?"
There isn't one.
There's this:
Thanks to @Spearfoot

glabel status on top of that and you have all that you need.

artlessknave

Wizard
I realize this thread is kinda old, but.
disklist.pl. in my signature.
it's amazing.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...or there's just the Storage -> disks page, which will show the serial numbers for all the disks:
1647203841397.png

You'll still need to pull the disks to identify which s/n is in which slot, but once done (and assuming you either don't unplug them, or plug them back in the same place), you should be set.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
You'll still need to pull the disks to identify which s/n is in which slot, but once done (and assuming you either don't unplug them, or plug them back in the same place), you should be set.
Having gone through this with my first NAS many years ago, I have made it a habit to label the disks with their serial number in a place, that does not require to remove them. It is a few seconds additional work per drive, but it pays a big dividend.

artlessknave

Wizard
label the disks
I have a speadsheet, but it's functionally the same thing. annoying to update but so much less of a PITA when I want to move a disk.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The convenient way to do it is to have an enclosure/backplane that supports SAS enclosure services; then you can do things like sesutil locate da3 on and it will flash the light for you. But failing that, yes, some kind of list/label to easily identify disks by s/n makes it relatively painless.

artlessknave

Wizard
sesutil locate da3 on
i never actually had that command. i will have to test it, but some of my enclosures are...very old and very proprietary, so i dunno if they work standard-ly.

artlessknave

Wizard
works fine on the supermicro, but the others...nope.
on the isilon-as-a-jbod, it errors out
sesutil: Count not find the SES id of device 'da22'
and the nl408 it accepts the command but nothing seems to change.
I dont even have the original motherboards in them, though, so this doesn't really surprise me.