What bay is /dev/da2 on Dell R620?

Looking at the bays, I can see bay 1,2,3,4 etc.
I have a problem with a drive, /dev/da2. I replaced drive bay 3 with drive bay 4 to test and the logs showed the drives affected we da5 and da9.
I still see the da2 error so I obviously am not changing the correct drive.

Anyone here know?

Redcoat

MVP
Storage>Disks will give you the drive serial number for da2.
Then open box and find drive with that serial number.
"bays" have no relevance to this issue.

Ah, good point, the serial number cept for having to pull drives one at a time.
I never noticed that before in storage/disks since I was never looking for such a thing but yup, it's there :).
I can also see it using smartctl from the command line.

Thanks for the input.

Yup, it was in Bay7.
However, can you expand on bays having no relevance. Maybe I'm missing something because to me, they have always had relevance, just not in this case.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
TN can, if something changes, reconfigure at boot which device is defines as /dev/da2 (3,4,5 etc). This is why you mustn't manipulate pools in the commadline useing /dev identifiers and must use the long identifier GPTID

SO, unless you have an IXSYSTEMS server where TN knows and understands the backplane the only real way is by serial number, so tape a piece of paper on top with bays and serial numbers when you build it OR down the server and pull the drives till you find the one you are looking for.

Alternatively you could dd to a still working drive when the system is quiet and find which drive is flickering most
Or
You might be able to use the commandline to trigger the device light - but I have no idea how to

danb35

Hall of Famer
You might be able to use the commandline to trigger the device light - but I have no idea how to
On my SuperMicro box, you'd use sesutil locate da2 on. Might be worth trying on the R620, but no guarantees.

# sesutil locate da2 on
sesutil: Count not find the SES id of device 'da2'

That would have been perfect. I'll make a list of S/N's before this goes to the DC.

NugentS

MVP
I sellotape a motherboard diagram to the top of my NAS, I keep meaning (this is a do as I say, not do as I do comment) to do the same with the serial numbers and drive bays (never got around to it). I even bought some sticky labels so things would be easy to change when a disk changes. No idea where they are now