New Backup Server: 2 Vdevs in 1 Pool vs 2 Pools

mangoon

Dabbler
Hey There,

I'm currently planning on replacing a QNAP NAS that was acting as an offline Backup and need your Advice:

I'm running a Main NAS with 8x8TB that is actively backed up da another Location. Additionally I have an old 4 Bay QNAP with 4x4TB drives that powers on once a day, replicates and then shuts off...

Now I want to replace the offline QNAP as it is quite full and I also want to start to backup my Main PC (currently only OS Backup to the Main NAS). I Aquired a 12 Bay Supermicro Server and digged out 2 additional 4TB Drives and 6 2 TB Drives. My plan now is to put thos into two vdevs with RAIDZ1 and use as replication target.

I Originally planned to make two pools, one with the 6x4 TB Drives as a 20TB RAIDZ vdev and one with the 6x 2TB drives as a 10TB RAIDZ1 vdev. There I want to rsync the main NAS to Pool1 and backup my PC to Pool2. Is there any benefit of not putting those in two separate pools but having one pool with 2 vdevs?

All the data there is already eather backed up once or not that important but annoying to loose, so if two drives (that are quite old) fail in one vdev I can simply replace them and resync everything. The reason I wanted to go different pools was the Idea, that I then don't have to replicate all of the data but only what was in the vdev as I understood that if one vdev fails the whole pool ist corrupted?

Thanks a lot, I'm quite enyoing playing around with TrueNAS atm and will definately switch some time in the future with my main NAS from QNAP if the experience stays as positive as it is right now.

A and one more thing: I originally wanted to just use TrueNAS Core, is there any real benefit in juming the SCALE Train right now?