Satisfy my curiosity

AVB

Contributor
I upgraded last night to TrueNas 12. On my main server I downloaded the ISO and upgraded using that. For my other server I used the upgrade service on the web interface. Both went well but I've noticed two things. The first is that my main server takes much longer to boot up but the other server didn't seem to change. I would have thought the more powerful system would take less time personally. The second item is that the second server now has 25-35% CPU usage even while nothing is happening - it's just sitting there. That certainly wasn't the case under FreeNas 11. Any ideas on what might cause this or what files should I be looking at? This is as basic a setup as possible. It stores lots of stuff and that is it. No Plex, no jails no nothing - just plain storage

Now my main sever is a dual processor E5-2670 with 96GB of ram and 2 pools, one with 2 Vdevs (9x2) 3TB drives in a RaidZ2 configuration and one pool with one Vdev of 6 (3TB) drives in a RaidZ2 configuration. The backup server is a single E5-2650 with 64GB ram and 1 pool of 2Vdevs (9x2) 4TB drives in a RaidZ2 configuration

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Can you give us some additional details on the CPU usage? Output of 'top' or anything? There is a bug with SNMP chewing up too much CPU on 12.0, which is fixed in 12.0-U1 in a few weeks, might just be that again.

AVB

Contributor
Can you give us some additional details on the CPU usage? Output of 'top' or anything? There is a bug with SNMP chewing up too much CPU on 12.0, which is fixed in 12.0-U1 in a few weeks, might just be that again.

Thank you for getting back to me. After rebooting half a dozen times since I posted I decided to let my scheduled scrub run and see what happened after that finished. After the scrub CPU avg usage was still above 20% however, after a reboot it has since dropped down to the expected 0-3% range at idle. I've rebooted twice since then and it has stayed low. I'm sorry that I didn't really check anything besides the supplied graph and I don't know if any of the info you want is in a log file or not or even which file it may be in. For the moment it seems to have fixed itself.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Ok, I wouldn't expect it to show up in the logs, so if you happen to catch it again, try to run 'top' or 'htop' and see what process is eating up so much CPU. Without that clue its hard to guess where the problem may be.

AVB

Contributor
Ok, I wouldn't expect it to show up in the logs, so if you happen to catch it again, try to run 'top' or 'htop' and see what process is eating up so much CPU. Without that clue its hard to guess where the problem may be.

Absolutely, it would be the least I could do to help out.