TrueNAS - A method to spin down hard disks after 30 minutes of inactivity after 23:00 / between 23:00 and 09:00..

RaidPirate

Dabbler
Hi,

Sorry this will probably seem like a really weird question. For an explanation as to why I want to do this please see my "inb4" comments at the end of this question.

I'm not currently aware of any feature such as the one I am looking for in the TrueNAS GUI, and google doesn't return any results, and neither did a search of this forum.

So I guess this is a niche request, but my thoughts are perhaps a CRON job of some kind could be used to do this? But I don't know enough about TrueNAS or the OS it is derived from to know how to go about doing that.

Here's what I would like to do:

Have some way of spinning down the hard disks after 23:00 automatically. Ideally with the caveat that the disks should also have been idle for half an hour or so.

Here's why I would like to do it:

I currently have a NAS box in my room. Despite being in a decent case with rubber gromets for the disks to mount on, it still makes a lot of noise from the rotation of the hard drives. Unfortunatly the system resides in my room (where I sleep) so the rotational humming is actually a fairly big issue.

Here's a few inb4's:

> You should have bought SSDs

True, but I am poor and managed to get these HDDs on eBay new for a good price. When I bought them I had no idea how the humming noise would propagate throughout the house, particularly at night when the ambient noise is very low.

> Just set the spindown timer to 30 minutes

Can be done but inconvenient during the day when I want to use the system. The raid 6 array takes about 30 seconds to spin up all the drives. Also there's the issue of additional wear from them spinning up/down all day. Setting the time to longer than 30 minutes is probably far too much of an inconvenience. Setting it to longer than 30 minutes means if I am using the system just before I decide to sleep I have to wait half an hour before the thing goes silent.

> Can't you put it in another room?

Unfortunatly not, the folks I live with are already somewhat unhappy about a router in the cupboard where the ISP router/switch/AP combo box is. These are not tech people, they don't really understand why I might need a raid array to store VMs for work.

> Can't you put it the cupboard in your room?

Yes, but it doesn't help. The humming from those drives can be heard in the adjacent rooms at night. Putting it anywhere in my room doesn't improve things, regretably.

sretalla