Two Drives failed at the same time-3hrs after successful resilvering

hamron

Cadet
Hello, I have two drives of three that have failed. They failed after being replaced. After the last drive finished resilvering the pool lasted 3hrs before the drives stopped being detected in the BIOS.

Question
-Can I place the two original of three drives back and recover the pool? Right now the pool sees the third drive, but ada0 and ada1 are Unavail, which makes sense.
-Is there a way to modify the Disk Set?

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I would suppose it would depend upon the functionality of the drives which were replaced. Were they beginning to fail, or less reliable, or were they already beyond usable? It may be possible but its not something I would guarantee.

If it were me, I would be wondering about the other hardware involved. Why did two drives fail and why did their replacements also fail. This assumes that the new drives were brand new pristine drives because if they were it seems very suspicious that both drives would suddenly fail like this.

hamron

Cadet
I would suppose it would depend upon the functionality of the drives which were replaced. Were they beginning to fail, or less reliable, or were they already beyond usable? It may be possible but its not something I would guarantee.

If it were me, I would be wondering about the other hardware involved. Why did two drives fail and why did their replacements also fail. This assumes that the new drives were brand new pristine drives because if they were it seems very suspicious that both drives would suddenly fail like this.

The original two drives were detected by the BIOS and were operational. I had checksum warnings so I replaced them one at a time. The drives were new from a local computer chain store.

It's weird, it took me a week to resilver ada0 and 2 days and 12 hours for ada1. The Pool was healthy for 3 hrs when I noticed my email server wasn't sending mail. I checked the GUI the two drives were gone. I shutdown Freenas-GUI and when I booted into the BIOS It was confirmed, no disks (new ones were detected.

I took the failed new drives out and placed them on a test rig. I noticed they spin up then spin down. It's like they're searching then stop.

I agree it's strange that both went/are not detected. I thought it was the SATA controller, Power or Firmware.

Is there a way to edit/change what the Disk Set thinks are it's set of disks?

Thank you for your input.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems

I would be looking here as well. This many cascading failures makes me think of:

1) The storage controller (be it "HBA in slot" or "SATA on motherboard") failing, and hopefully not corrupting things badly.

2) Your power supply is failing to deliver sufficient power (better, at least the drives just don't spin) or incorrect/dirty power (worse, could be cooking drives)

If you have a different system you can connect the drives to in order to do a simple spinup/detection test and maybe pull SMART info, this would be valuable.

hamron

Cadet
I would be looking here as well. This many cascading failures makes me think of:

1) The storage controller (be it "HBA in slot" or "SATA on motherboard") failing, and hopefully not corrupting things badly.

2) Your power supply is failing to deliver sufficient power (better, at least the drives just don't spin) or incorrect/dirty power (worse, could be cooking drives)

If you have a different system you can connect the drives to in order to do a simple spinup/detection test and maybe pull SMART info, this would be valuable.
Hi HoneyBadger,

I've tried another system, and the drives spin up then spins down. It sounds like it seeks twice then spins down. Yes it' crazy two drives after one being connected for a week and the other for over 2 days. My last drive-one of three (WD Red 3TB) in the case is working.

Do you know of a way to edit the disk set information that is on the last of the three? I was going to try to put back the original two drives to get the pool up and migrate what I can.

JaimieV

Guru
Sidebar to the discussion: you haven't mentioned (please detail your build, it'll help us all) but if any of your drives have been WD Red 3TB they may be SMR, which may explain the ridiculously long resilvering. Check your model numbers here to find out, and take any SMR drives back as unfit for purpose.