Raidz1 still resilvering after 2 disk missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
I hope someone can help me, i have FreeNAS 8.3 x64 system with Asus C60M1I, 16 gb ram, 6x ST3000DM001 (3 is 9YN166 and 3 is 1CH166) With 1 ZFS pool with raidz1.

While copying data from the NAS it stopped and i notices 1 drives was missing, after a reboot it was back and i did a zpool clear.
Then i started copying data again and it stopped rigth away, and the disk was missing again.

I rebooted with logging option and it said for 2 of the drives: Ata status 51 DRDY Serv err and not ready after 31000ms.
I rebooted again after hanging 1 hour at mountd before i pulled the button, then 1 of the drives was not detectable in bios anymore.

I replaced the offline drive with a new one, replaced and the resilvering started.
After 5 hours i was checking the box and i had lost a second disk, the resilvering still continues.
I rebooted the nas and used the very low level diagnostic tool Victora and it said for both drives: Drive not say DRSC, DRDY or not remove BUSY cannot working

Now its 1 day ago and it stills resilvering with zpool status 5.77T scanned out of 9.66T at 50.2M/s, 22h35m to go 4.50G resilvered, 59.72% done. and with errors: 39083386 data errors.
With 4 of the original drives and new one, and 2 of the original drives on the bench.

I also started to get smartd errors on console: Offline uncorrectable sectors and Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.

The 2 failed drives is PN:9YN166 and the third drive with smartd errors is also 9YN166, and the rest with PN:1CH166 is fine.

The question is, should i stop resilvering?
I'm planning to send 1 or more of the disk to recovery company for repairing the disk, i guess its possible to change PCB, head, motor or something, none of the drives makes any bad noises.
But i heard something like a beep a few times.

What will happend after resilvering is done and i'm able to repair the drives and put them back in?
Are there any hope for getting the zpool volume back so i can backup all the data?

Thanks, proxl
I like your graphic. OS/2 lives on (www.ecomstation.com)!

proxl

Cadet
I got an update from the DR company, one of the disk is dead and there is a problem with the firmware chip. They still working on it, but they have less hope for recovery.
The other drive they started a low-level cloning process for 10 days ago, and it's still running, 15% finished.
If they sucsessfully clone the drive it will cost 1300 USD, if not free of charge.

Looks bad, but there is still some hope :)

Z300M: Thanks ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
In all seriousness, I think your chance of mounting the pool is darn close to zero.

If one disk has a failed controller, that might get your pool to mount(only 1 missing disk). But that disk they are trying to low-level clone, I don't have particularly positive things to say....

1. Data Recovery pros pull out your media and do a recovery differently than whatever the heck they are doing. I'd be surprised if they are doing anything besides a ddrescue and trying to charge you for it. You should NOT be paying for their service(whatever service they claim to be providing). Doesn't sound like a data recovery professional to me though. But that's just my opinion and based on my experience with data recovery professionals in the past.

2. If its going so slowly that its 15% finished after 10 days, you're looking at over 3 months for full recovery(if it doesn't start getting slower which is very likely... keep reading). And more than likely since its obvious they haven't dissected the disk they're probably doing more damage than good.(again.. ddrescue is not "professional $1300 data recovery"). The slowness of it is because of the high amount of unreadable data. In short, that disk pretty much has no data on it and is just flat out trashed and they aren't helping with whatever the heck they are trying to do. Even if they do eventually finish the recovery I'd expect that any attempt to use that disk is going to result in the trashed metadata causing zfs crashes or kernel panics. That's what I see pretty regularly for people that ask me to recover their data over Teamviewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.