SOLVED ada numbering changed after pool upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted47050

So here is the summary of the situation: some time ago both of the drives in my mirror started dying, so I replaced them and, while I was at it, I also replaced them with bigger drives. Before the upgrade, my two drives were mapped as ada0 and ada1.

Because I did the upgrade by using a third mirror, I initially added my first drive (ada2) to replace ada0, and then the second drive (ada3), to replace ada1. Everything worked fine and my pool is up and running now.

After rebooting the system after the upgrade, however, I noticed that my two new drives were not mapped to ada2 and ada3 anymore, but are now mapped as ada0 and ada1. This makes perfect sense (they are, after all, the replacements for old drives ada0 and ada1), however, looking at this post, it looks like this should only happen when there is an issue.

So I am a bit confused now: is this expected behavior or not, in the contest of a replacing disks using a third mirror?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Did you remove the old disks? In that case, and after a reboot, it would be entirely expected for the new disks to appear as ada0 and ada1. FreeBSD assigns the device numbers in the order in which it sees the devices. It doesn't reserve numbers for devices that used to be there and aren't any more.

D

Deleted47050

Did you remove the old disks? In that case, and after a reboot, it would be entirely expected for the new disks to appear as ada0 and ada1. FreeBSD assigns the device numbers in the order in which it sees the devices. It doesn't reserve numbers for devices that used to be there and aren't any more.

Yes, I removed the old drives, so all good. I got confused by reading the other thread and I wanted to double check. Thanks man :)

Dice

Wizard
All good.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Carry on.

D

Deleted47050

I don't know what I would have done without these last two posts, I am so grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.