Tutorial: Plex Plugin HTTP Anidb Metadata Agent (HAMA) Installation Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bi1a1Y

Cadet
Hello All.

I recently installed the plex plugin called HAMA. This plugin allows Plex to fetch more accurate metadata and art for anime shows.
Bundled with the plugin is a new scanner that will more accurately identify anime titles due to the way these shows are typically numbered. You probably know this and if you're here you are probably just looking for some help on how to install this thing. It's actually really easy to do I just like to blab so bare with me.

1. Head over to the plugin page on the plex forums:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/77636/release-http-anidb-metadata-agent-hama/p1

2. Scroll to the bottom of the first post, and download the latest version of the HAMA + Absolute Series Scanner and extract the contents of the downloaded file onto your computer. This file is actually quite outdated in some ways however it maintains the correct folder structure for getting this to all work correctly. The out of date files will be updated in the following steps.

3. Head over to the following two GitHub repo's by the same author as the post you were browsing on the plex forums and download and extract the zips to your computer.
    https://github.com/ZeroQI/Absolute-Series-Scanner
    https://github.com/ZeroQI/Hama.bundle

4. Starting with the Absolute-Series-Scanner:
    Copy and replace the existing Absolute Series Scanner.py file with the one from github:
    Code:
    Forum path: \HAMA + Absolute Series Scanner 2015-04-11 15h42\Plex Media Server\Scanners\Series\
    Github path: \Absolute-Series-Scanner-master\Scanners\Series\
  5. Copy and replace the existing ' Contents' folder with the one from GitHub:
    Code:
    Forum path: \HAMA + Absolute Series Scanner 2015-04-11 15h42\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Hama.bundle\
    Github path: \Hama.bundle-master\Hama.bundle\

6. Locate the 'Plex Media Server' folder on you FreeNAS system and copy the contents of the now modified (in steps 4 and 5) 'Plex Media Server' that you downloaded from the forum in step one.
    I personally used WinSCP for this and the following steps, but use the method of your choice be it through terminal or through other software.

Code:
    '${JAIL_ROOT}/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/'

'${JAIL_ROOT} - represents the root of the plex jail (which is inside the jails folder that you would have setup during the storage setup stage of your FreeNAS box)
    This path is taken from the Hama.Bundle GitHub page please refer to it for more details

In this folder, you will find the Plugin-in Support, Plug-ins and Scanners folders among others. Go through these 3 folders populate them appropriately according to the folders setup in the earlier stages of this tutorial.

Take your time in this step and check you are copying the folders correctly. (as mentioned earlier when performing this stage of the installation I prefer to use a program like WinSCP or Bitvise for GUI)

The installation section of the following link should read thoroughly
    https://github.com/ZeroQI/Hama.bundle

7. You will now want to go through the files you copied to your server and make sure the owner and group of all the files and folder are set to 972. You will need root privileges when playing in the jails directory.

8. Restart your server and then head over to Plex.
    Head to Settings > Server > Agents > TV Shows > HamaTV and modify the settings as you wish. make sure you have read the post from step one thoroughly to under stand what settings to use.
    I then deleted my Anime library and re-added it with the scanner and agent set to Absolute Series Scanner and HamaTV respectively. It may well work if you just change the scanner and agent in the library settings however i simply re-added the library.

9. ENJOY YOUR PRETTIFIED ANIME

PS. I AM NOT THE AUTHOR OF THE PLUGIN NOR DO I HAVE ANY AFFILIATION WITH HIM OR THE PROJECT. THE INSTRUCTIONS SIMPLY DON'T COVER INSTALLING THIS PLUGIN ON A FREENAS SYSTEM. SO I THOUGHT I'D MAKE A POST HERE TO HELP OTHERS WHO WHERE HAVING TROUBLE AS I WAS.

Edits
(13/08/2016): improved wording and expanded on steps 6 and 7 and some minor grammar corrections

Last edited:

lazybones

Dabbler
Awesome guide, I guess it is something I have missed becuase I cannot find the hama agent in the settings for some reason. Any idea of what might be wrong?

Bi1a1Y

Cadet
Awesome guide, I guess it is something I have missed because I cannot find the hama agent in the settings for some reason. Any idea of what might be wrong?

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. It made me realise that there were some lacking instructions especially in step 6. I just edited the tutorial and reinstalled the agent on my own box to make sure the steps work correctly.
Without more info on what you did precisely, it's hard to give you a solution especially since I am a super extreme novice. However, if the agent isn't showing up then there must be a mistake in its installation. Have a look at step 6 again maybe my clarifications on it will do the trick.

lazybones

Dabbler
I solved it by doing a recursive chown on the directory :)

Thanks anyway. The best about your tutorial was that I hadn't though about using WinSCP with rootaccess to move files. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.