Trying to debug HBA-Problems: where is the backend logfile ${LOGOUT}?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom++

Cadet
Good evening

If I try to create a volume using the Volume Manager, I get SCSI Errors (if someone is interested for the errors, I listed them below).
I would like to use this problem to get in touch with FreeNAS source and to debug this problem.

In the backend, there are useful log messages written to ${LOGOUT}.

So I just have one question :):
Do I have to assign a file to ${LOGOUT} or is there a default logfile already assigned?

Thanks a lot for any help,
kind regards,
Thomas

Just in case someone is interested: if I use the FreeNAS Volume Manager to create a new zfs volume on my Adaptec HBA with only one SSD attached I get the following log informations:

da0 at pmspcbsd0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <ATA INTEL SSDSC2BW24 DC32> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device
da0: Serial Number PHDA438604NW2403GN
da0: 600.000MB/s transfers
da0: Command Queueing enabled
da0: 228936MB (468862128 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 29185C)
da0: quirks=0x8<4K>

(da0:pmspcbsd0:0:0:0): ATA TRIM failed, disabling BIO_DELETE
(da0:pmspcbsd0:0:0:0): ATA COMMAND PASS THROUGH(16). CDB: 85 0d 06 00 01 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 40 06 00
(da0:pmspcbsd0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(da0:pmspcbsd0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(da0:pmspcbsd0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 (Invalid field in CDB)
(da0:pmspcbsd0:0:0:0): Command byte 0 bit 0 is invalid
(da0:pmspcbsd0:0:0:0): Error 22, Unretryable error

tom++

Cadet
Hi dlavigne

thanks y lot for your answer! - and sorry for my question...
I expected the logging messages in a deeply, hidden folder, but it's obivious to place them in /var/log/...
So I remember the 1st lesion: never change a running system (or: reuse working structures)

Kind regards, Tom

Larry Ing

Cadet
Thomas,
I am getting a very similar problem and am wondering what your solution to this problem is.

Regards,
Larry

tom++

Cadet
Hi Larry
I'm not sure if you have a problem with an Adaptec HBA or with subject of this thread: to find the logfile ${LOGOUT}.

Concerning the logfile, dlavigne andwered the question: it's in /var/log/messages.

If you have a HBA-Problem, then please give some details.

Kind regards,
Tom

Larry Ing

Cadet
Tom,

Sorry, I'm having issues with the HBA. I'm using a ASA-7805H and FreeBSD 9.3. Whenever I try adding an SSD to my zfs volume, I get nearly the same error as you listed. The only difference being the particular device, but the same error number other than the driver particulars.

Regards,
Larry

tom++

Cadet
Just for the records:

Because I was not able to get my Adaptec HBA running on FreeNAS on a stable basis,
i finally have tested it with OMV (OpenMediaVault) and here are the results:
  1. The Adaptec HBA is running stable with OMV
  2. The performance is "bad": it is usually slower than the usual motherboard-connector. (Tested with fast SSD ext4 and zfs mirror)
    » Do not buy an (Adaptec) HBA to get better performance. Modern Motherboards are alredy great!
  3. » zfs works on OMV - GUI is still in Beta-Test, but the Driver rock solid.
My learning / proposal:
  1. Adaptec was great in the past. Today, their support is useless (I opened 4 tickets and adaptec answered, but did not have solved one driver problem)
  2. I like - no, I love! the linux tools like lsblk.
Kind regards,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.