TrueNAS12.0-Release Replication leads to Unscheduled Reboot

arthurroos

Cadet
Hi community. I am new to this place and new to TrueNAS as I am reading things and practicing running my new homelab. I ran into an issue when trying to run my first replication task.

What I was doing:
I have a main pool (RAIDZ2) with internal HDDs and my several dataset in it.
I added a new pool with 3 external HDDs (3 seperate vdevs to simply extend into one big pool, no redundancy).
I am trying to replicate my main pool (~20TiB used for 60 TiB total) into my new pool (~23TiB) for the purpose of backup.
I scheduled a one-time task for replication. Both source and destination are on local system.

What I experience:
Web UI slower but still mostly usable. The "Replication Task" page will refresh repeatedly with my only scheduled task appear and disappear again and again. Other services such as Plex or VM are normal. About 5 to 10 minutes later (with a few hundred GiB of data copied), the system will hang and reboot with this type of error message
"* truenas.local had an unscheduled system reboot.
The operating system successfully came back online at Tue Nov 10 16:38:45 2020 "

What have I attempted:
I attempted to try several times; attempted to reduce the dataset I tasked to replicate to a smaller one (~3TiB) instead of the entire set; attempted setting the destination to both unencrypted destination pool and to a subset of encrypted pool (after re-creating the backup pool); attempted running only replication without using the system for anything else.

I have searched this forum and found some remotely similar issue 6 years ago, but without much traction. I searched Google finding someone having similar issues with FreeNAS 11.2 but saying it was fixed for 11.3. I have not find any exact situation like mine.

What system I have:
custom build.
  • Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
  • CPU Ryzen 5 3600
  • RAM 32 GB ECC (ran memstest86+ for a few hours in the past with no error)
  • Hard drives: 1 Transcend TS128GMTE110S M.2 drive and 1 PNY CS900 2.5" 120 GB SSD mirrored for boot. 8 WD white label 12TiB for main pool in RAIDZ2. For new pool intended for backup, 1 WD myBook 8TB external HDD, 1 WD element 10TB external HDD, 1 Seagate 8TB external HDD, in seperate vdevs with no redundancy.
  • Hard disk controllers: 5 of 8 storage HDD in SATA to MB. 3 of 8 storage HDD and the PNY boot drive to LSI 9207-8i 6Gbs SAS PCI-E 3.0 HBA in IT mode.
  • Network cards from Motherboard. No additional NIC.
Would you please help on what I should try or do to resolve this?

Thanks,
Arthur

HenchRat

Dabbler
I had a similar issue and posted about it here: ZFS Replication to USB drive caused NAS reboot

I haven't solved the issue, but did split up my monolithic replication task into an individual task per dataset rather than a single task for the pool, and so far have not had the reboot, but replication jobs are still running, so I may not have hit root cause yet.

Of interest, you and I are both using Ryzen processors, mine being a Ryzen 7 3700X

arthurroos

Cadet
I had a similar issue and posted about it here: ZFS Replication to USB drive caused NAS reboot

I haven't solved the issue, but did split up my monolithic replication task into an individual task per dataset rather than a single task for the pool, and so far have not had the reboot, but replication jobs are still running, so I may not have hit root cause yet.

Of interest, you and I are both using Ryzen processors, mine being a Ryzen 7 3700X

So I am not the only one I guess (I am a total noob so it could be just me). Have you ever filed a bug report or is this something warrant one? I am not sure the general guidelines on what warrants one.

Alecmascot

Guru
Arn't there bios tweaks needed to make Ryzens stable ?
Search the forum.

HenchRat

Dabbler
So I am not the only one I guess (I am a total noob so it could be just me). Have you ever filed a bug report or is this something warrant one? I am not sure the general guidelines on what warrants one.

I have not, because I don't yet feel I have enough information to know if this is a me problem or a code problem.

HenchRat

Dabbler
Arn't there bios tweaks needed to make Ryzens stable ?
Search the forum.

There are some documented changes for first and second gen Ryzen processors, but I don't think they are recommended for third generation/Zen 2 Ryzen, which both of us have.

I may try the disabling of C6 to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

HenchRat

Dabbler
Disabling C6 made no difference. More updates in my other post.

Arthur, does your pool or any dataset have a space in the name?

Last edited: