Replication problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctd_uk

Cadet
I am running 2 FreeNAS machines, each on the latest stable version FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412312006.
I have not been able to get replication working, and would like some guidance.

The primary machine has a zvol that contains VMware VMFS file system. This is iSCSI exported to an ESXi host.
That's been working fine for a few months.

While I've been finding my way around FreeNAS and the underlying systems, I have been doing manual snapshots and transferring those – using send/recv – to a secondary FreeNAS machine. That too has been working fine. The secondary machine has also been used as an iSCSI target to confirm that data is landing OK, and to provide a route for backup outside of the FreeNAS context.

All baby steps, but by and large working fine.

I wanted to automate the send/recv process and so defined a Periodic Snapshot task. This does the job.
Snapshots are being automatically created every 2 hours, as requested. However, the Replication Task based on the same dataset fails immediately (and repeatedly). The on-screen status and the emailed error messages are jointly saying:

Replication <sourceDataset> -> 192.168.218.57:<targetDataset> failed: cannot open '<targetDataset>': operation not applicable to datasets of this type cannot receive new filesystem stream: unable to restore to destination Error 33 : Write error : cannot write compressed block
I have ensured that the iSCSI service is not running on the destination (I've had trouble in the past with send/recv to an active iSCSI target).

If I try (what I presume is) the manual version of the replication – i.e. send/recv – it works fine, without any changes at all to the setup.

In the Replication Task, on the initial attempt - when all I had on the destination machine was a newly-defined, empty zvol – I set the switches as follows:

Recursively replicate and remove stale snapshot on remote side: True
Initialize remote side for once. (May cause data loss on remote side!): True
Replication Stream Compression: lz4(fastest) – default
On subsequent attempts to create a Replication Task, I did not set the “Initialise remote” switch.
I have also tried with Compression disabled. Identical failure message.

Is there some known problem with Replication, or is something mistaken in the route I'm using?
Any advice would be welcome.

D

dlavigne

[QUOTE]Is there some known problem with Replication[/QUOTE]

Lots, unfortunately, with several open bugs. I don't see a bug with that error, though. Please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.