Replication Tasks Issue - What Did I Do Wrong

ggoldfingerd

Explorer
Originally I had a replication task to backup my primary pool to my backup pool on an Supermicro SC846 chassis. I ended up reaching 90% storage capacity on my primary pool with no more HDD slots. I decided to increase my primary pool by adding another vdev. This forced me to detach my backup pool and delete the replication task. The backup pool would be shelved for awhile (ended up being 3-4 months).

Eventually I built a Supermicro SC847 chassis as a JBOD. I connected it to my SC846 with External MiniSAS cables. I put my backup pool in the SC847 and imported it. I created a new replication task with the same settings I previously had. The remote hostname was still localhost and I checked recursively replicate child dataset and delete stale snapshots on remote system. The replication task started successfully so I thought I was done.

Well after running for a few days I received an email stating my backup pool was at 90%. For some reason now my backup pool is 17.9TB larger than my primary pool and the replication task is not complete.

1550520984807.png

I was expecting that the replication task would have seen what was different from the last replication and have copied over the changes. My primary pool grew about 6TB since the last replication on the SC847 before starting the new replication task. The new replication should have transferred the 6TB or so and been complete.

To me it seems like the replication task is ignoring what is already on the backup pool or needs a lot of extra disk space which doesn't make sense. The folder shown in the Storage tab of FreeNAS GUI between the two pools match up. However the size does not. I just deleted the replication task to stop the data transfer.

The only thing that I can think of is that I should have disabled the replication task instead of deleting it. Was this my mistake?

If not, how can I fix this?

I could always delete all the backup data and start a new replication task. This will obviously take extra time but is one possible solution. The new replication task was done on FreeNAS 11.1-U7. Thanks for any help.

ggoldfingerd

Explorer
I decided to destroy my backup pool and start fresh. It took about 4 days to replicate my primary pool to my backup pool. I will disable the replication task if I need to remove by backup pool. I have no idea what originally happened.