TrueNAS Won't boot with Pool - UFS found no partitions

Musetech2021

Cadet
I'm new to TrueNAS, and this is my first installation and has been navigating the system. It's very slick, and the affluent community is why I decided to go this route instead of just purchasing a Synology or QNAP. However, I have hit a wall with this error message during boot. I create a new Raidz2 pool with seven drives and one hot spare. It was running fine until starting moving content to the drives, and I restarted the NAS and received this error message below. I have tried deleting the Pool and creating it, and the issue persists. The NAS will not boot with all the drives (new Pool) inserted. The one way to bypass it is to eject a few of the drives and allow the NAS to boot and reinsert them, and it recognizes the pool fine. See video

Error When drives are inserted
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro79fcor2nkdo4f/Error when drives inserted.MOV?dl=0

Work when drives are removed
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zo8qwj96osb2ix1/Work when drives removed .MOV?dl=0

>>FreeBSD EFI boot block
Loader path: /boot/Loader.efi

Initializing modules: ZFS UFS
Load Path: \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
Load Device: PciRoot......
BootCurrent: 0018
Boot Order: 007[*] 008 0002 0001 0005
Probing 32 block devices......not supported
Not supported
Not supported
Not supported
good
ZFS found the following pools: DATA4 boot-pool
UFS found no partitions
Consoles: EFI Console

Any recommendations you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U4
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz
64GB RAM
Boot Drives: (2x SSD 1GB drives)
System Dataset: boot-pool (it was initially set to DATA4, but changed it to boot-pool)

Many thanks for considering my request.

cubeton

Cadet
Im having same issue here. mine states..

Failed to load '/boot/loader.efi'
panic: No bootable partitions found !

any progress on this ?

Musetech2021

Cadet
@cubeton there has been no improvement and no help yet from the community. In the meantime, I have been avoiding restarts and using the workaround when I have to absolutely restart. Glad to know I'm not alone. What are your hardware specs?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
@Musetech2021 from the early parts of that video it looks like the BIOS on your X10DRH is over 5 years old (2.0a from 2016, current is 3.4 from 2021) so updating that is where I would start. Make sure there is not a specific intermediate step you need to take eg: "you must be on v2.8 to go to 3.0+" or similar.

Issues with UEFI firmware were common sources of boot problems when the default FreeBSD boot went from BIOS to UEFI with 12.

Musetech2021

Cadet
Thank you, @HoneyBadger for pointing that out. I was able to update the BIOS today and it was painless, but it didn't resolve the issue. It got stuck at the same state during boot up. I was able to boot properly by removing some of the drives and reinsert them after it passes that state. At least my BIOS is up to date now!

pschatz100

Guru
This may be obvious, but did you double check your boot device in the bios? Make certain the proper device is selected.

On some old systems with early UEFI support, a device might be listed twice in the bios: once for legacy boot and a second time for [UEFI] boot. Be certain you have selected the correct one. If you don't know what to select, I would remove all the data disks and then check the bios to see what device is identified as the boot device.

AJCxZ0

Dabbler
This may be obvious, but did you double check your boot device in the bios?
Just in case you were responding to me in Musetech2021's thread, following up here and to my post.

I did. The BIOS is fairly up-to-date and was set to just UEFI mode. I tested with the UEFI devices for each of each entry for "UEFI OS", and "UEFI OS" with the specific device, also disabling all except the TrueNAS 12.0-U8 "ISO" image on a flash drive. I also briefly tested in Legacy (BIOS) mode. The perplexing part was that while I could boot the TrueNAS 12.0-U8 "ISO" image on the flash drive while there were no drives in the server, when the drives were installed the boot always went straight to the failure as if any of the loaders instantly chained to the one on the installed OS.

jackdinn

Contributor
I'm new to TrueNAS, and this is my first installation and has been navigating the system. It's very slick, and the affluent community is why I decided to go this route instead of just purchasing a Synology or QNAP. However, I have hit a wall with this error message during boot. I create a new Raidz2 pool with seven drives and one hot spare. It was running fine until starting moving content to the drives, and I restarted the NAS and received this error message below. I have tried deleting the Pool and creating it, and the issue persists. The NAS will not boot with all the drives (new Pool) inserted. The one way to bypass it is to eject a few of the drives and allow the NAS to boot and reinsert them, and it recognizes the pool fine. See video

Error When drives are inserted
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro79fcor2nkdo4f/Error when drives inserted.MOV?dl=0

Work when drives are removed
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zo8qwj96osb2ix1/Work when drives removed .MOV?dl=0

>>FreeBSD EFI boot block
Loader path: /boot/Loader.efi

Initializing modules: ZFS UFS
Load Path: \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
Load Device: PciRoot......
BootCurrent: 0018
Boot Order: 007[*] 008 0002 0001 0005
Probing 32 block devices......not supported
Not supported
Not supported
Not supported
good
ZFS found the following pools: DATA4 boot-pool
UFS found no partitions
Consoles: EFI Console

Any recommendations you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U4
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz
64GB RAM
Boot Drives: (2x SSD 1GB drives)
System Dataset: boot-pool (it was initially set to DATA4, but changed it to boot-pool)

Many thanks for considering my request.
Did your system fail to boot after this error? i have developed the same error i believe, but mine does get pasted this stream of text error message and continue to load. I am worried that there is some kind of problem.
Was this remedied?