Fresh Installation, "Probing 4 block devices... not supported", and "UFS found no partitions"

Rubix443

Cadet
Hello all,

I had a cheap budget build, but I decided to upgrade my processor, motherboard, and PSU. I did save a config file from my old server before replacing parts.

I rebuilt the computer with the new specs...
Truenas-13.0-U3.1 iso (using Rufus)
Intel i7 12700
32GB DDR4 RAM
MSI B660m Mortar Motherboard (I have already m-flashed the bios to the most recent version)
2 Brand new 250GB M.2 drive (boot drive)
2 16TB HDD (old HDDs full of plex media from an old server)
750 Watt PSU

When plugging in my old boot SSD drive, The bios could see the drive but would fail to boot. Not to worry, I have 2 brand new M.2 Drives. I have upgraded my boot drive from an HDD to SSD before, and I figured it would be the same. I Installed the latest Truenas Core with UEFI. The exact same problem occurs. I tried reinstalling on a second brand-new M.2 as well as different USBs for Rufus, and the same thing happened. If I force to boot to the drive in BIOS, a string of code goes by extremely fast, so I took a video and took screenshots. I have attached them to this post.

The biggest problems that I can see are...
"Probing 4 block devices... not supported"
"UFS found no partitions"
"Panic: free: guard1 fall @ 0x3d4e83f8 from unknown: 0"

I have searched these problems in the forum and found discussions where the problem was solved by doing a fresh install.
The issue is that I am doing a fresh install and I tried 2 M.2's and 4 different USBs, so I am at a loss.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Attachments

• Truenas Problem 1.PNG
    Truenas Problem 1.PNG
    972.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Truenas Problem 2.PNG
    Truenas Problem 2.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
  • Truenas Problem 3.PNG
    Truenas Problem 3.PNG
    906.3 KB · Views: 133

Rubix443

Cadet
I was able to solve my problem and thought I would post about it just in case someone else finds themselves in the same situation.

I realized that when I changed any settings in BIOS, it would not save. This seemed to be important because I had read that Truenas Core cannot boot with safe boot or TPM. This may not be true, but it was a start. I found that having two different sets of RAM can cause a saving issue, and I have 2 different sets of 16 GB ram in my build. So I powered it down took one set out and reloaded. I was able to save the setting in BIOS, but I decided to re-flash the bios just to be safe. I turned off TPM and Safe boot and restarted and truenas Core booted up!

There was a new problem. I got an error stating "The web interface could not be accessed." I think the problem here is that I am using a gaming MOBO and the LAN was not being recognized, but I found a Youtube video with a fix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFVWqjPQ8g
I followed the instructions and Truenas core works like a charm and I was able to reload my saved config file.

Hope this helps if anyone else runs into the same issue!

WN1X

Explorer
Ugghh! You have a Realtek NIC. The FreeBSD drivers for these NICs are poorly written and very, very likely to cause you problems in the future. I believe iX intentionally disabled loading the 2.5Gb driver because of corruption issues.

Your best bet is to disable the Realtek device and get yourself a good Intel ethernet card.