Truenas very slow and generating many errors

theaddies

Contributor
Pasted below is one of the messages I am getting from the server in e-mail. After waiting quite a while the GUI does appear but then it is extremely slow to log in. I tried SSH and I wasn't able to get connected. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/alert.py", line 740, in __run_source
alerts = (await alert_source.check()) or []
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/alert/base.py", line 210, in check
return await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.check_sync)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/run_in_thread.py", line 10, in run_in_thread
return await self.loop.run_in_executor(self.run_in_thread_executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/alert/source/quota.py", line 38, in check_sync
datasets = self.middleware.call_sync("zfs.dataset.query_for_quota_alert")
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1261, in call_sync
return self.run_coroutine(self._call_worker(name, *prepared_call.args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1297, in run_coroutine
return fut.result()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 438, in result
return self.__get_result()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 390, in __get_result
raise self._exception
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1212, in _call_worker
return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1139, in run_in_proc
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1113, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
socket.timeout: timed out

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Errors in middleware often indicate an issue with a failing boot device. Eg: not all USB sticks are created equal, and some can fail very quickly, or have issues with xHCI compatibility (USB 3.0 mode)

Can you describe your boot device and its connection?

theaddies

Contributor
Thanks for the reply. The boot drive is an SSD. I have a spare. I will try to make a backup and have a do-over.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
What is the make/model of the boot device, and how is it connected?

Certain controllers (often found in consumer SSDs like the Western Digital Green or lower SanDisk models) have issues with their TRIM implementation under FreeBSD (the operating system kernel under TrueNAS) and would require TRIM to be disabled prior to installation.