TrueNAS SMB shares not accessible anymore after upgrade to TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1

xbmcgotham

Dabbler
A very strange behavior which I cant find any resolve to.

Situation:
* Upgrade to TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 from FreeNAS.
* All SMB shares where accessible by android boxes that use SMBv1 legacy or higher before the upgrade.
* Support for legacy SMBv1 was enabled in the SMB service settings.
* Some android boxes are connected to TrueNAS on the same network subnet, others [the one that now give issues] on other subnets.
* It looks like after upgrade to TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 the android boxes that are on the other subnets are no longer able to communicate with the TrueNAS server SMB shares.

Tried:
* Enable NetBIOS-NT under global network settings. but no success.
* Even when I try to ping the TrueNAS server using its IP from one of the android boxes on the external subnet, it will loss all its packages.
* However normal internet access is working fine so its unlikely related to the network. And no changes where made to the network before connection was lost.
* And all local android boxes are working fine and can access the SMB shares without any issues after the upgrade to TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1.

I am totally lost on what has happens, or even how to trouble shoot going forward.

Anyone's assistance is appreciated!

Thanks

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Make the systems "ping" first. What kind of router is between the two subnets? What are the ip addresses of all involved systems and their netmasks? What are the default routers of allinvolved systems?

Start from ping, it doesn't make any sense to try SMB unless that is working. FreeNAS/TrueNAS doesn't have an active firewall so ping should always work.

xbmcgotham

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick response.

A mikrotik router is managing all the network traffic including a mikrotik switch to extend the routers port capabilities.

Main network, that has the truenas and working android boxes are on 192.168.1.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0. Router being 192.168.1.1, and truenas 192.168.1.50
Other subnet A is on 192.168.2.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 android box has IP 192.168.2.254
Other subnet B is on 192.168.3.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 android box has IP 192.168.3.254

And mikrotik router has two active firewall rules that will allow each android box IP's traffic to the Truenas at 192.168.1.50. Any other traffic to the main network or to each others subnet is blocked.

This has worked fine so far. noting has changed that I am aware of on the mikrotik router. all IPs are also still the same. No changes found. Still no ping from the android boxes from subnets to the truenas.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Does your TrueNAS have a proper default gateway entry?

xbmcgotham

Dabbler
Does your TrueNAS have a proper default gateway entry?

Hi, please see attached. nothing has been configured. maybe this was emptied during theTrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 upgrade.
Shall I enter gateway to the IP of the router and dns as well?

BTW the truenas should receive the IP and gateway by the mikrotik router.

UPDATE: I added the routers IP address in both gateway and dns 1, but no change. [I didn't reboot truenas, is not needed for these changes, correct?]

UPDATE2: I thought of trying to ping another device on the local network, so I added the exception to the firewall rules. And after doing this, suddenly it also worked again for the android boxes. Great of course, but a little worrying that this can happen in this way using a professional router.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 13.47.06.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 13.47.06.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 226
Last edited: