Windows 10 Finds TrueNAS Shares, KDLINKS A400 Android Device Does Not

dwightR

Cadet
I've used FreeNAS as a media vault for .iso copies of my DVD and BluRay discs for years, accessing them via a KDLINKS A400 Android streaming box. This lets me select a movie to watch from my library without getting up from my seat. I have been EXTREMELY satisfied with this.

Since my FreeNAS box is getting a little long in the tooth, I figured it was time to build a new machine with new hardware and current software. I put together a similar box and installed TrueNAS-12.0.U7, created a SMB share and mapped to it without difficulty from multiple Windows 10 machines in my home (I did explicit ip address mapping from Windows to the TrueNAS box via "Map Network Drive..."). From Windows, I created 2 new subfolders and copied the data from my FreeNAS box to the new TrueNAS box. My plan is to keep the FreeNAS box as a backup, and begin using the TrueNAS box as my primary source for streaming to my KDLINKS A400 box.

At first, I could not find the new TrueNAS box from the A400. In Network>Global Configuration, I saw that the NetBIOS-NS box under Service Announcement was not checked. I checked it, and was then able to find the server from the A400 device. However, I cannot find the shared folder I created within TrueNAS when I expand the server from the A400 device (I can see the SMB shares I defined under the FreeNAS server from the A400 device). I have tried to map to the shared folder via IP address and directory name, but the A400 device responds with "New Server Error". I have reached out to the manufacturer of the A400 device about this, but have yet to get a reply.

1640700766637.jpeg

I am not sure what I need to adjust within TrueNAS to make the SMB Shares visible to my A400 device as they are in FreeNAS 9.3. My first thought was that it might be access-related. I have defined the share in TrueNAS as granting full control to everyone, but still it does not show up from the A400 Android device.

1640700802380.jpeg

1640700722274.png

Any guidance/suggestions that folks may have about how to resolve this will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1640700743143.jpeg
    1640700743143.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 114

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This has a vague feeling of being related to SMB1's being disabled due to NotPetya.

etc

dwightR

Cadet
Wow - what a quick response! Thank you for this observation!

As a test, I'll go ahead and enable SMB1. Does the change take effect on-the-fly, or do I need to re-start TrueNAS?

dwightR

Cadet
I can now confirm that the change takes effect without a restart of TrueNAS, and that it resolved my issue. I'll have to reach out to the A400 device manufacturer and see if there is a firmware upgrade that removes the need for SMB1 being enabled, since that is a vulnerability I can do without.

Thanks very much, jgreco, for sharing your thoughts on this so quickly!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Not a problem. Unfortunately, large numbers of SMB1-enabled client devices have ended up as abandonware-grade junk, including most scanners, MFP's, media players, cameras, and other devices designed to access files "on Windows" "over the network" dating from (perhaps) 2014 and before, and even many devices after that point.

While it may not be any comfort, if it does turn out that you cannot update your firmware, I would point out that the media player ecosystem has grown by leaps and bounds over the past decade, and there are even a lot of cool custom things that can be done on platforms like the Raspberry Pi.

Good luck.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
For the minimum of next 1.5 years we will have SMB1 support in TrueNAS. Landscape may change by the next time we update major Samba versions. There are plans to eventually remove SMB1 from upstream samba and so that will trickle down into TrueNAS eventually.

To speak concretely though, TrueNAS 13 and TrueNAS SCALE will both have samba 4.15 and SMB1 support.