Add TrueNAS as Library location in Windows 10

JoKer96

Cadet
Hello there, i have the following problem:
I want to move my Windows 10 Librarys over to my TrueNAS Storage Server via a SMB Share, but Windows tells me that "This network location can't be includet because it is not indexed".
So, naturally i tryed to google what might be the issue there and which solutions there are for this, but i found noething that works for me.

Besides of lots of posts in various forums that basicly just said "I have this problem" with few answers that are not helpfull at all and pices of software that are no longer available to download i found the following:

Sync Center > Offline Files
If I map the network location and right klick the mapped location i can select the option "Always available offline". Well, i do not nearly have enougth storage on my local drive(s), trying to save 12TB onto the 110GB of offline file space, that Sync Center reseves by default, is everything but possible. Also does it defeat the purpose of a NAS, which stores all the data independend on one storagepool thats more secure to failure and loss (and no, it's not a backup) than a single drive in my PC.​
So i did not use that.​

mklink
There was a workaround on Windows 7 to create a "Hardlink" with mklink which i also tryed, but that doesnt work for me, so it appears not to work anymore on Windows 10. For the sake that i might misstyped something, this is the command i used in a commandprompt, that was run as administrator: mklink C:\Users\JoKer\Documents \\BIGDATA\JoKer\Documents /D
If i did this i just go the same error message from Windows: "This network location can't be includet because it is not indexed".​
Thats too bad.​

Third party Software
So far i tryed "Everything" and "Locate32", both created an index as far as i was able to tell but only for themselves, not to be used by Windows.​
That said i prefear not to use a third party software, which draws additional recources from my system.​
Thats another miss.​

Then i looked at the SMB Share, which appeared to not support indexing on its own, neither does it support the 'Windows Search Protocol' (which might be the same as indexing, not sure about that). There appeares to exist something calles Elastisearch with support for Spotlight, which is the Searchprotocoll for MacOS so i did not bother to set that up, since i use Windows 10 not MacOS...

This problem is plagueing me now for several weeks, so now i would kindly ask for your help.

Do you know how to setup a TrueNAS SMB Share as Library location in Windows 10?
I even accept to switch the OS of my NAS to something different that TrueNAS, if the other OS provides the feature i want!

If there are any further Questions to have to ask me feel free to do so.

For the sake of completeon, this is the System i run TrueNAS on:
Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1
Processor: Ryzen 3 3100
Mainboard: ASRock Rack x470D4U
Ram: 1x Kingston Server Premier 16GB DDR4-3200 ECC
OSDrives: 2x Kingston A400 120GB (SSD)
Storagedrives: 4x Seagate IronWolf 6TB (HDD) running as RAIDZ2

couchbed

Dabbler
I want to move my Windows 10 Librarys over to my TrueNAS Storage Server via a SMB Share, but Windows tells me that "This network location can't be includet because it is not indexed".
Hey, @JoKer96. I'm having the same issue. Did you ever find a good solution or workaround?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

JingYingDad

Cadet
Hello there, i have the following problem:
So, naturally i tryed to google what might be the issue there and which solutions there are for this, but i found noething that works for me.

Besides of lots of posts in various forums that basicly just said "I have this problem" with few answers that are not helpfull at all and pices of software that are no longer available to download i found the following:

Sync Center > Offline Files
If I map the network location and right klick the mapped location i can select the option "Always available offline". Well, i do not nearly have enougth storage on my local drive(s), trying to save 12TB onto the 110GB of offline file space, that Sync Center reseves by default, is everything but possible. Also does it defeat the purpose of a NAS, which stores all the data independend on one storagepool thats more secure to failure and loss (and no, it's not a backup) than a single drive in my PC.​
So i did not use that.​

mklink
There was a workaround on Windows 7 to create a "Hardlink" with mklink which i also tryed, but that doesnt work for me, so it appears not to work anymore on Windows 10. For the sake that i might misstyped something, this is the command i used in a commandprompt, that was run as administrator: mklink C:\Users\JoKer\Documents \\BIGDATA\JoKer\Documents /D
If i did this i just go the same error message from Windows: "This network location can't be includet because it is not indexed".​
Thats too bad.​

Third party Software
So far i tryed "Everything" and "Locate32", both created an index as far as i was able to tell but only for themselves, not to be used by Windows.​
That said i prefear not to use a third party software, which draws additional recources from my system.​
Thats another miss.​

Then i looked at the SMB Share, which appeared to not support indexing on its own, neither does it support the 'Windows Search Protocol' (which might be the same as indexing, not sure about that). There appeares to exist something calles Elastisearch with support for Spotlight, which is the Searchprotocoll for MacOS so i did not bother to set that up, since i use Windows 10 not MacOS...

This problem is plagueing me now for several weeks, so now i would kindly ask for your help.

Do you know how to setup a TrueNAS SMB Share as Library location in Windows 10?
I even accept to switch the OS of my NAS to something different that TrueNAS, if the other OS provides the feature i want!

If there are any further Questions to have to ask me feel free to do so.

For the sake of completeon, this is the System i run TrueNAS on:
Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1
Processor: Ryzen 3 3100
Mainboard: ASRock Rack x470D4U
Ram: 1x Kingston Server Premier 16GB DDR4-3200 ECC
OSDrives: 2x Kingston A400 120GB (SSD)
Storagedrives: 4x Seagate IronWolf 6TB (HDD) running as RAIDZ2
Don't ask me why, but this seems to work. Make sure you have the legacy version of Windows Media Player installed. Open it in Library View (Click the icon below the X in the upper right corner if you are in the Now Playing View). Right click on the Videos on the left and choose Manage Libraries. Add your folder to the library there and it will be accepted (I mapped mine to a drive letter). When you open the regular libraries folder, the location will now show up although there is a warning that "Some library features are unavailable due to unsupported library locations".