Windows 10 Needs to Index Network Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB Freenas

Cadet
I am a newbie, Windows 10 Pro does not index network files, so searching takes an inordinate amount of time. My Windows server indexes the files locally and Windows 10 is able to recognize that these locations are indexed and uses those indexes to do a fast search.

Is there a third party plugin that will index folders or data sets which Windows 10 will recognize?
Is there a workaround (other than making the files available offline) that I can use to resolve this issue?
Is there a program/app for Windows 10 that I can use in place of Windows File Explorer that will index and search FreeNas ?

I just recently purchased an iXsystem FreeNAS Mini with Read/Write Cache and 4-2TB drives using Raid Z-1. FreeNAS-9.3

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
You took the "Blue Pill"
and you get to remain a part of Bill Gates' matrix.

SMB Freenas

Cadet
I actually took the red pill as the story has not ended.

While searching the Matrix for possible solutions, the Oracle search engine took me on a wild ride to Agent Ransack, a free file searching utility.

It is Windows 10 32/64 bit compatible. There is also a more full featured for purchase, too. However, while the app does not index the files, its algorithms are very fast and gives you considerably more flexibility than Windows explorer and it searches the NAS via CIFS share extremely fast.

You can get the free version or paid version (FileLocator Pro) here: http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Don't matter what third party utility you think your getting help from, it's still Windows and you're not truly free...:D

ethereal

Guru
Last edited:

SMB Freenas

Cadet
i use locate32 for indexing my network drives (freenas) - it's free and has a lot of options.

http://locate32.cogit.net

I just checked it out and looks like a good solution, except Locate32 is not primarily meant to find text or data within files. Which isn't a deal killer. However, agentransack does search within documents. agentransack does not index the information which you would think would slow it down to a crawl. However, the algorithms they use are extremely fast. I did a test and asked it to find one key word in a PDF file that was embedded within a directory tree of 788 folders and 6,652 files totaling 13.1GB (9.31 on disk). The unique word is on page 87 of a 101 page document. agentransack found the document in one minute and twenty seconds. When I searched for just the file name, it found it in just under 3 seconds, it also took just 7 seconds to search the entire directory for a file name match.

I will install locate32 and continue to measure performance as the amount of data grows. I have not fully populated the NAS as I am still in the evaluation/testing phase learning as fast as I am able to fully make use of it awesomeness.

Thank you for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.